Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Steffen Otto <so...@gmx.de> on 2004/10/13 20:08:59 UTC

Rendering time

Hello,

I am using JSVGCanvas to show some text data from a database. I am using
a progressbar to indicate the working progress. At this time I use
GVTTreeRendererAdapter > gvtRenderingCompleted(GVTTreeRendererEvent e)
event to get the end of rendering and set my progressbar to 100%. But
it´s not so good because my progressbar stands still for a time. Did
anybody know a better way to indicate the progress continously from
rendering start to rendering end?

Best regards
Steffen

Re: Rendering time

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Steffen Otto wrote:

> I am using JSVGCanvas to show some text data from a database. I am using
> a progressbar to indicate the working progress. At this time I use
> GVTTreeRendererAdapter > gvtRenderingCompleted(GVTTreeRendererEvent e)
> event to get the end of rendering and set my progressbar to 100%. But
> it´s not so good because my progressbar stands still for a time. Did
> anybody know a better way to indicate the progress continously from
> rendering start to rendering end?

    There really isn't a way currently.

    For this to happen you would have to have the 'paint' methods
of the various elements in the GVT tree call an event handler.
This would likely add a noticeable amount of overhead to rendering.
You would also then need a count of the total number of objects in
the GVT tree.  This is something that could be added to the source
relatively unobtrusively but I can't really see a truly 'clean' way
to pull it off (you would have to modify Batik sources).

    There is an option to do 'progressive' painting where the document
is updated to the screen as it is drawn (it's been a while so there
is some possibility of bitrot here).  This would give users some
feedback as drawing progresses.