Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2018/06/27 18:02:00 UTC

site doc cleanup

I'm looking at our svn site, and there are a lot of javadocs there, including those for all the 3.0.0-alphas

 du -s -h r3*
438M r3.0.0
1.2G r3.0.0-alpha1
368M r3.0.0-alpha2
368M r3.0.0-alpha3
374M r3.0.0-alpha4
425M r3.0.0-beta1
441M r3.0.1
441M r3.0.2
447M r3.0.3
467M r3.1.0

I propose: rm -rf docs/3.0.0-* to get rid of all the alpha releases, consistent with the rest of the documentation set.

I also intend to create a symlink stable3 -> r3.1.0  on the basis of the 3.x line, it's the stabile one.

What I'd also like to do is mark that 3.1 as the "current" version in the sitemap, leaving 2.9.1 as the stable branch-2 release that the "stable" link will still point to off there.

Is everyone OK With this? Changes to the forrest XML will only surface when someone rebuilds the site; I think deleting the 3.0.0-alpha artifacts will happen immediately

-steve

Re: site doc cleanup

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
It seems aggressive to delete docs just because a line hasn't had a recent
release. We don't have a formal EOL policy for release lines, and old
releases (particularly old clients) are still used and old docs linked in
places.

Also, sorry if I missed the original rationale, but what do we gain from
deleting old docs?

Re: site doc cleanup

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.

Re: site doc cleanup

Re: site doc cleanup

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
IMHO dump the docs from the beta release as well. anyone on an
alpha/beta release should move on to a GA release and beta1 should
have been API frozen compared to GA.

[1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8313e605c0ed0012f134cce9cc6adca738eea81feccea99c8de87cd9@%3Cgeneral.hadoop.apache.org%3E
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20502

--