Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Antonio Si <as...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/21 02:49:05 UTC

Question on loop count in ThreadGroup...

Hi,

I have a basic question.

In the ThreadGroup, what is the difference between having
200 threads and a loop count of 1 versus having 1 thread
and a loop count of 200?

If I have 200 threads in the ThreadGroup, does jMeter actually
create 200 java thread behind the scene?

If I have 1 thread and a loop count of 200, are all the 200
requests sent out sequential or are the requests sent out
simultaneously?

Thanks very much.

Antonio.

Re: Question on loop count in ThreadGroup...

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:49:05 -0700 (PDT), Antonio Si <as...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a basic question.
>
> In the ThreadGroup, what is the difference between having
> 200 threads and a loop count of 1 versus having 1 thread
> and a loop count of 200?
>
> If I have 200 threads in the ThreadGroup, does jMeter actually
> create 200 java thread behind the scene?

Yes

> If I have 1 thread and a loop count of 200, are all the 200
> requests sent out sequential or are the requests sent out
> simultaneously?

Processed sequentially.

Question about IF Controller

Posted by Vladimir Tsygankov <Vl...@contera.sp.ru>.
Hi all,
Can I use user variables, like ${my_var} in If Controller? In my
attempts I was failed.
I wrote in the condition field: ${my_var}!=0. It was always as "true".
Thanks in advance,
Vladimir

Re: Question on loop count in ThreadGroup...

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
The Sampler HTTP Request HTTPCLient (ALPHA) uses httpClient, but the
connection pool facilities have not been investigated.

Whether pooling is appropriate for JMeter is another matter, as JMeter
is intended (at least partly) for simulating multiple independent
browser clients.  These would not share connections.

JMeter does not currently support parallel downloading of images etc
linked to an HTML page, so there is not much scope for pooling yet.

However, the JMeter httpClient sampler does support connection re-use
if selected in the GUI.

S.

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Unless I missed something, I'm not sure how your endorsement of
httpclient is relevant to the question.

A single thread looped 200 times will simulate a single user running the
test 200 times through, sequentially.  200 threads looping 1 time will
simulate 200 users running the test once, in parallel.

-Mike

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 00:08, Kan Deng wrote:
> Antonio,
>
> Please consider to use
> apache.jakarta.commons.httpClient.
>
> It offers the feature of client pool. Especially,
> connection pool throttling -
>
> "This is very useful in certain server situations.
> This is a limit on the number of connections to a
> given host and port. The HTTP 1.1 specification
> recommends that no more than 2 connections are
> established (to a given host/port). In any of the
> other implementations (that use connection pooling) it
> will open as many connections as you have requested.
> This can cause problems for some servers. "
>

> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient
>
> Feature comparison
> http://www.nogoop.com/product_16.html#connpool
>

> Kan
>

> --- Antonio Si <as...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a basic question.
> >
> > In the ThreadGroup, what is the difference between
> > having
> > 200 threads and a loop count of 1 versus having 1
> > thread
> > and a loop count of 200?
> >
> > If I have 200 threads in the ThreadGroup, does
> > jMeter actually
> > create 200 java thread behind the scene?
> >
> > If I have 1 thread and a loop count of 200, are all
> > the 200
> > requests sent out sequential or are the requests
> > sent out
> > simultaneously?
> >
> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > Antonio.

> > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download
> now.

Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Question on loop count in ThreadGroup...

Posted by Kan Deng <ka...@yahoo.com>.
Antonio,