Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Manfred Bergmann <mb...@software-by-mabe.com> on 2016/01/21 10:59:29 UTC

Lots of files in temp folder

Hi.

I had a case where a customer had millions of file in Java tmp folder
produced by Wicket.
There are a lot of those folders:
"org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketServlet-128f3c8-filestore", etc.
and
"file-prefix59601103483491554.tmp".

Most files are very small but the sheer number of them gave them a size of a
couple of giga bytes.
This is not actually a large application. It has two or three pages with
components.

The number of temp files probably has grown over a large period of time
where the Wicket page was always open in a browser and got reloaded often.

Are those files not removed from time to time, automatically?
If not, how can I remove them programmatically?

A, yeah. the Wicket version is 6.19.0. Upgrading to 6.21.0 shows the same
behavior.

Regards,
Manfred

Re: Lots of files in temp folder

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
The "data" files with its parent folder must be deleted automatically when
a session is invalidated either by calling #invalidate[Now]() method or due
to inactivity of the user.
If the file is not removed then it is bug in Wicket that should be fixed!
Please create a quickstart application that shows the problem and attach it
to a ticket in JIRA! Thank you!

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
What do you think about adding a setting to StoreSettings to delete the
folder contents on application startup ?
By default it will be "false"
This way it will work with persistent sessions [1] too.

1.
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/manager.html#Persistence_Across_Restarts

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <ma...@gmail.com>.
The web server matters because it is responsible to notify Wicket when the
session is invalidated.

7.2.0 is being voted at the moment. If no issues are found then it should
be released in few days.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Everything works fine locally.
Both session timeout and manual invalidation (Session#invalidate() and
#invalidateNow()) work fine.
I use Tomcat 7.0.63 here and 7.0.65 at production.
Which web server do you use?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
OK.
This looks like a bug too.

grep says:
wicket-core/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/settings/StoreSettings.java:
fileStoreFolder
= File.createTempFile("file-prefix", null).getParentFile();

So it seems Wicket creates a temporary file just to get a reference to the
/tmp folder and discards this file.
We should delete it!

Are those files empty on your system?

Posted by Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <re...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK wicket serializes old version of pages into file system

wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Yeah, the filestore.
> Hmm, there is no file-upload functionality in this Wicket app. I'm
> wondering
> why those file are created then?
>
> I just had a check. There were 8GB of data from those files.
>

> Manfred

Regards - Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro

Re: Lots of files in temp folder

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

The folder for the session data (filestore) should be removed with the
invalidation of the user session (either expiration or explicit logout).
But there must be one such folder in /tmp with many sub-folders.
Here it looks like:
/tmp/jetty-0.0.0.0-8888-webapp-_myapp-any-/
└── MyApplication-filestore
    └── 2200
        └── 5314
            └── 1i0svs4a1edbvdenm01kfwyzy
                └── data

Whenever a user session is invalidated a branch should be removed.

The "file-prefix....tmp" file I believe is created by commons-fileupload.
It supports file cleaner which by default removes the files when the Java
process terminates, e.g. when you restart your web server.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Thanks for sharing this information!
I'll wait some more and most probably close the ticket as "Cannot
reproduce".