Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Axel <ax...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/15 17:00:51 UTC

How to get email notifications for comments to run?

How can I get email notifications for comments to run?

In
  conf/Catalina/localhost/roller.xml
I made the following entry:
<Resource name="mail/Session" auth="Container" type="javax.mail.Session"
      mail.smtp.host="localhost" />

In
  roller/WEB-INF/roller-config.xml
I set
  <emailComments>true</emailComments>

In the website settings I enabled "email comments"

Is there another option to set?

--
Axel Kramer
http://www.plog4u.org - Wikipedia Eclipse Plugin

Re: How to get email notifications for comments to run?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
i know one semi-bug is that as a weblog owner, when you check the "email notifications" box you must set the "from" field to something that looks like a valid email address.  it can't just be a message like "comment notifications".

-- Allen

Posted by Gavin Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
What should I do if the smtp server need log in with username/password?

thanks.

Gavin Yang

2005/8/17, Axel <ax...@gmail.com>:
> On 8/15/05, Axel <ax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/15/05, Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, I was wrong.  It is now a runtime-configurable property in the Admin UI.
> > >

> > > As an administrator go to Admin | Configuration  and check the checkbox labelled "E-mail Comments? "
> > > (assuming the English version).
> >
> > I already enabled that box. Any other idea?
> A note in the JNDI howto section "4. Install the JavaMail libraries"
> seems to solve my problem:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
>
> [quote]
> "Note: placing these jars in both common/lib and a web application's
> lib folder will cause an error, so ensure you have them in the
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib location only."
> [/quote]
>
> After deleting activation.jar and mail.jar from
>   webapps/roller/WEB-INF/lib
> the email notification worked.
>
> Axel Kramer
> http://www.bliki.info - der Wiki Weblog
> http://www.plog4u.org - Wikipedia Eclipse Plugin

--
Shanghai, China

Re: How to get email notifications for comments to run?

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Oh, yeah.  I had run into the same problem a long time ago, and I thought I added a note in our Installation Guide, but I'll need to
doublecheck that.  Thanks.

--a.

Posted by Axel <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Axel <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Sorry, I was wrong.  It is now a runtime-configurable property in the Admin UI.

As an administrator go to Admin | Configuration  and check the checkbox labelled "E-mail Comments? "
(assuming the English version).

There are two settings in the roller.properties that determine some finer-grain aspects of the behavior.

--a.

Posted by Axel <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 8/15/05, Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> wrote:

> The second item of configuration has moved from roller-config.xml to roller.properties in 1.2.  Apparently our docs regarding
> configuration of this needs updating.

What should I add in roller.properties?

Is this correct:
emailComments=true

Re: How to get email notifications for comments to run?

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.