Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/01/17 22:12:44 UTC

[HttpCore] HttpCore 4.2 API freeze

Folks

I have completed redesign of the async protocol handlers and am going to
start working on the next release towards the end of the week.

This may be the last chance to make major API changes to the protocol
handlers. If no one comes forth with new ideas and feedback on the new
API the next release is likely to be 4.2-BETA1.

Please do try to take a look at the updated javadocs and tutorial and
let me know if would like to have another ALPHA release in order to have
more time to finalize the API.

http://people.apache.org/~olegk/apidocs/
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/tutorial-4.2-draft/html/
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/tutorial-4.2-draft/pdf/httpcore-tutorial.pdf

Oleg

PS: it would be nice if someone could also proof-read the tutorial.

Re: [HttpCore] HttpCore 4.2 API freeze

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Oleg
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/tutorial-4.2-draft/html/
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/tutorial-4.2-draft/pdf/httpcore-tutorial.pdf
> ..
> PS: it would be nice if someone could also proof-read the tutorial.
I reviewed and checked in the minor corrections I noticed into the
trunk... I will begin testing the new API changes shortly..

regards
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: [HttpCore] HttpCore 4.2 API freeze

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Oleg

Sorry for waking up on this so late..
> I have completed redesign of the async protocol handlers and am going to
> start working on the next release towards the end of the week.
>
> This may be the last chance to make major API changes to the protocol
> handlers. If no one comes forth with new ideas and feedback on the new
> API the next release is likely to be 4.2-BETA1.
As you may be aware, AdroitLogic is using the 4.1.x codebase in
production at present, and the change to 4.2.x seems to require some
changes in design and code which we have not yet started on. I'd love to
move to the 4.2.x codebase, but my rough guess is that we will need
about a month to  effectively update our code, and run a good round of
load and performance testing, after our immediate next release.

However, I do not want to delay the 4.2-beta1 release, as I do not
expect the new code to break anything, or for the API to be missing any
existing features. I just wanted to communicate that we'd officially
start our migration soon (early February), and would confirm the
completion by end of February.
> PS: it would be nice if someone could also proof-read the tutorial.
Sure, I will get this done in the next week and send you any feed back

regards
asankha