Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Anup Ghatage <gh...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/11 21:01:59 UTC

Board report draft for May 2020

Hello,

Please find below a draft of the report for Bookkeeper for the ASF board.
Any comments / additions are welcome.

I've used https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/?bookkeeper and Slack
analytics to generate the details for the report.

Regards,
Anup

BookKeeper is a scalable, fault-tolerant, and low-latency storage service
optimized for append-only workloads. It has been used as
a fundamental service to build high available and replicated services
in companies like Twitter, Yahoo and Salesforce. It is also the log
segment store for Apache DistributedLog and message store for Apache Pulsar.

Apache DistributedLog is a high-level API and service layer for
Apache BookKeeper, providing easier access to the BookKeeper
primitives. It is a subproject of Apache BookKeeper.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache BookKeeper was founded 2014-11-19 (5 years ago)
There are currently 23 committers and 16 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members.
- Rajan Dhabalia was added as committer on 2020-03-23

## Project Activity:
In the past quarter, we've had the following GitHub activity:
- 38 PRs opened (8% increase)
- 40 PRs closed (48% increase)
- 50 commits (51% increase)
- 20 code contributors (66% increase)

Releases
- We voted to release Apache BookKeeper 4.10.1
- Supporting project Bookkeeper Visual Manager released v1.0.0
- We migrated from Jenkins to Github Actions

## Community Health:
In the past quarter, we've had the following email activity:

- 1272 emails in issues@bookkeeper.apache.org (4% increase)
- 30 emails in user@bookkeeper.apache.org
- 59 emails in the dev@bookkeeper.apache.org

Here are the details for our slack channel for the last quarter:
- 468 messages posted
- 11 new members (38 new members since last report of Nov 2019)

- Overall the discussions seem to go from mailing lists to our slack
channel (apachebookkeeper.slack.com).
- There are several BookKeeper proposals being worked on actively.

Re: Board report draft for May 2020

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Anup, thank you!

I am going to send the report.

- Sijie

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Good

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Anup
Thank you  very much

Overall is very good
Only one line to change:
'We voted to release 4.10.1'
This line is not useful for the board and it also may reads that we
released 4.10.1.
It is better to report the dates of latest two releases.

The board is interested in releases as far as they are an indicator of
project vitality.

Unfortunately Slack is not counted much as project vitality indicator
because in the ASF every discussion must stay on the ML.
You did well in reporting the fact that we are using more Slack than the ML.
We should move to the ML more discussions

Enrico