Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by TroyGeek <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/22 18:03:11 UTC

Desupport for Tomcat 4?

Hello,
Do you know when the tomcat development group plans on not releasing any new
patches for Tomcat 4? Does this ever happen? If a bug is found in Tomcat 4
is it fixed in Tomcat 4 or are we forced to upgrade to Tomcat 5?

Thank you for your time!

~ T r o y ~

Re: Desupport for Tomcat 4?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
TroyGeek wrote:
> Hello,
> Do you know when the tomcat development group plans on not releasing any new
> patches for Tomcat 4? Does this ever happen? If a bug is found in Tomcat 4
> is it fixed in Tomcat 4 or are we forced to upgrade to Tomcat 5?

I am currently working my way through all reported TC4 bugs (there is
just one left if you ignore the enhancement requests) and back porting
some connector enhancements that should make most of the connector
options in 5.5.x available in 4.1.x. Once this is complete I intend to
do a 4.1.32 release. Unless 4.1.32 has a major problem, it will almost
certainly be security fixes only after that point.

To pre-empt your next question, I am not working to any particular
date for 4.1.32. The job that pays the bills is taking up a lot of
time at present so 4.1.32 will happen when it happens.

Between now and 4.1.32, if a bug is reported against 4.1.x my
intention is that it will get fixed. If a flood of 4.1.x bugs appear
in bugzilla, then all of the above may change.

HTH,

Mark

Re: Desupport for Tomcat 4?

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
TroyGeek wrote:
> Do you know when the tomcat development group plans on not releasing any
> new patches for Tomcat 4? Does this ever happen? If a bug is found in
> Tomcat 4 is it fixed in Tomcat 4 or are we forced to upgrade to Tomcat 5?

Look at this:
http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html
The fact that this section
http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html#Apache%20Tomcat%204.x
cantains twice the encouragement to upgrade to Tomcat 5.x whenever possible,
you might want to consider following this advice.

I know, this is not an answer to your question. It is simply a hint.

Regards
  mks