Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <oh...@apache.org> on 2020/03/12 17:53:31 UTC

[CVE-2020-1953] Uncontrolled class instantiation when loading YAML files in Apache Commons Configuration

CVE-2020-1953: Uncontrolled class instantiation when loading YAML files
in Apache Commons Configuration

Severity: Moderate

Vendor:
The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
2.2 to 2.6

Apache Commons Configuration uses a third-party library to parse YAML
files which by default allows the instantiation of classes if the YAML
includes special statements. If a YAML file is from an untrusted source,
it can therefore load and execute code out of the control of the host
application.

Mitigation:
Users should upgrade to to 2.7, which prevents class instantiation by
the YAML processor.

Credit:
This issue was discovered by Daniel Kalinowski of ISEC.pl Research Team

Oliver Heger
on behalf of the Apache Commons PMC

Re: [CVE-2020-1953] Uncontrolled class instantiation when loading YAML files in Apache Commons Configuration

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
The form at Mitre was just submitted, so I assume that the issue will be
visible soon.

Oliver

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.