Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "G.L. Grobe" <ga...@grobe.org> on 2001/04/21 07:17:11 UTC

Struts MessageTag.java not reading properties file keys

I've dug into the struts code and am posting this problem again w/ a little more info. I'm using Orion 1.4.7.

500 Internal Server
Error javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Missing message for key main.title at
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java,
Compiled Code) at /index.jsp._jspService(/index.jsp.java, Compiled Code) at ...

According to the above error and this snippit of code taken from the 4-20 tar.gz source, the properties file that my web-app is looking for is being found and all seems to be setup/configured correctly, else the error would be about messageTag.resources (not finding the property file). I've also included my properties (cais.properties) file below with this key included in it.

The only thing else I think that can be wrong is the value of the args array just before the Exception is thrown and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what those might be.

The line with 'String message = resources.getMessage(locale, key, args);' must be returning null and so this is giving me the above error, but I'm not sure what's being stuffed into it or where it comes from.

Any help much appreciated.

----- MessageTag.java ------------------------------------------------

  public int doStartTag() throws JspException {

   // Acquire the resources object containing our messages
   MessageResources resources = (MessageResources)
       pageContext.getAttribute(bundle, PageContext.APPLICATION_SCOPE);
   if (resources == null)
       throw new JspException
      (messages.getMessage("messageTag.resources", bundle));

   // Calculate the Locale we will be using
   Locale locale = null;
   try {
       locale = (Locale)
      pageContext.getAttribute(localeKey, PageContext.SESSION_SCOPE);
   } catch (IllegalStateException e) { // Invalidated session
       locale = null;
   }
   if (locale == null)
       locale = defaultLocale;

   // Construct the optional arguments array we will be using
   Object args[] = new Object[5];
   args[0] = arg0;
   args[1] = arg1;
   args[2] = arg2;
   args[3] = arg3;
   args[4] = arg4;

   // Retrieve the message string we are looking for
   String message = resources.getMessage(locale, key, args);
   if (message == null)
       throw new JspException
      (messages.getMessage("messageTag.message", key));

------ ~WEB-INF/web.xml ------------------------
<servlet>
      <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
      <init-param>