Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/24 04:37:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 2.1.0 (RC1)

Discussion thread for the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 2.1.0 (RC1) Release vote.....

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 2.1.0 (RC1)

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
Yeah Vamsi.  See
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-334.  I get a
real nasty problem launching the plugin from eclipse in development
mode per http://geronimo.apache.org/developing-the-geronimo-eclipse-plugin-in-eclipse.html.
 After your failure, I'd be curious to learn if you get the dreaded
"unable to save configuration file" problem.

Ted Kirby

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> HI Vamsi, As per the release process for the GEP (
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/release-eclipse-plugin-process.html) the
> staging site that I've created can be used to emulate the various eclipse
> update sites where the server runtimes and the GEP can be downloaded. As it
> is now though, the st.v21.core plugin of the GEP on the staging site will
> point back to the same staging site for downloading the runtimes, and only
> that staging site. The "absolute urls" as you call them will get
> resolved/updated when the GEP is released and pushed out to the official
> Eclipse update sites.

Is there a way to detect in the plugin whether it is installed from an
update site or by unzipping the deployable.zip?  If so, in the later case,
can the "absolute urls" be used as default values to look for runtimes?

You can still unzip the 2.1.0-deployable.zip file if you wish, but you still
> must add the staging site as a remote update site for the plugin to find the
> server runtimes.

With manual installation of plugin (i.e. by extracting
2.1.0-deployable.zip), I was unable to use the "Download and Install"
feature even after adding the staging site
http://people.apache.org/~mcconne/releases/2.1.0/RC1/staging_site/ as remote
update site.

> Sorry for the confusion, and I can update the instructions if they need
> clarification. Hope this helps.

++Vamsi

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
HI Vamsi, As per the release process for the GEP
(http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/release-eclipse-plugin-process.html) the
staging site that I've created can be used to emulate the various eclipse update
sites where the server runtimes and the GEP can be downloaded. As it is now
though, the st.v21.core plugin of the GEP on the staging site will point back to
the same staging site for downloading the runtimes, and only that staging site.
The "absolute urls" as you call them will get resolved/updated when the GEP is
released and pushed out to the official Eclipse update sites. You can still
unzip the 2.1.0-deployable.zip file if you wish, but you still must add the
staging site as a remote update site for the plugin to find the server runtimes.
Sorry for the confusion, and I can update the instructions if they need
clarification. Hope this helps. Thanks

Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
> Looks like the server binaries are downloaded from a runtimes directory
> under the update site url.  Should these be absolute urls pointing to
> distributions located under http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/ ?  Why
> should the method of plugin installation matter  to how the plugin works?
>
> ++Vamsi
>

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy
> <c1vamsi1c@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     "Download and Install" option while adding a "New Server" does not
>     work if I install the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin by extracting
>     geronimo-eclipse-plugin-2.1.0-deployable.zip .  It works only if I
>     install the plugin using the Eclipse Update Manager with update site
>     url
>     http://people.apache.org/~mcconne/releases/2.1.0/RC1/staging_site/
>     <http://people.apache.org/%7Emcconne/releases/2.1.0/RC1/staging_site/>
>     .  Is anyone else seeing this problem?
>
>     ++Vamsi
>
>     On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Tim McConnell
>     <tim.mcconne@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Discussion thread for the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 2.1.0 (RC1)
>         Release vote.....

Tim McConnell

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 2.1.0 (RC1)

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Hmm...  I notice that only zip distributions are made available with other
eclipse plugin releases (like WTP, etc) too.  May be we should stick to only
zip files.  Thanks Donald.

++Vamsi

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vamsi, I've opened a new feature JIRA to determine if it makes sense to
actually release a tar.gz artifact. As far as I know, the Eclipse update sites
only handle zipfiles, so I'm not comfortable at this time releasing a tar.gz
artifact for GEP 2.1.0. However, we shall determine the implications for the

Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
> To add on, I would love to see these tar.gz distributions in GEP 2.1.0
> release itself if adding these does not amount to a lot of work.
>
> ++Vamsi
>
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy
> <c1vamsi1c@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I don't remember if I had brought this up earlier, but wanted to...
>     Should we also include tar.gz distributions in our Geronimo Eclipse
>     Plugin releases?
>
>     ++Vamsi
>

>     On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Tim McConnell
>     <tim.mcconne@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Discussion thread for the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 2.1.0 (RC1)
>         Release vote.....

Tim McConnell

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 2.1.0 (RC1)

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.