Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> on 2006/12/21 18:02:46 UTC

Alias back from a descendant. Allowed or not?

Hi all!

I had problems with alias entries and reduced it to a minimum example:

It fails to import the following two entries into ApacheDS 1.0 --
default server.xml. The second entry is an alias to the first one, and
is directly located below the first entry:

dn: ou=Singers,dc=example,dc=com
ou: Singers
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalUnit

dn: ou=Songwriters,ou=Singers,dc=example,dc=com
ou: Songwriters
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalUnit
objectclass: alias
aliasedobjectname: ou=Singers,dc=example,dc=com

Here is the result I got from an ldapmodify attempt:

$ ldapmodify -h localhost -p 10389 -D "uid=admin,ou=system" -w ****** -q
-c -a -f aliasSingers.ldif
ldap_add: Unknown error
ldap_add: additional info: failed to add entry
ou=Songwriters,ou=Singers,dc=exam
ple,dc=com: [36] aliasDereferencingProblem - attempt to create alias
with cycle to relative ou=Singers,dc=example,dc=com not allowed from
descendent alias
2.5.4.11=songwriters,2.5.4.11=singers,0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.25=example,0.9.2342.192
00300.100.1.25=com

It seems that ApacheDS does not allow to create an alias from a
descendant. Unsure, I tried the same with the following servers:

  * IBM Tivoli Directory Server 6.0
  * Sun Java System Directory Server 5.2
  * OpenLDAP 2.3

With all of them, it worked just fine. Thus I assume it is an error in
ApacheDS. Should I raise an appropriate JIRA issue for it?

Thanks in advance,
     Stefan

Re: Alias back from a descendant. Allowed or not?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I had problems with alias entries and reduced it to a minimum example:

> With all of them, it worked just fine. Thus I assume it is an error in
> ApacheDS. Should I raise an appropriate JIRA issue for it?

Yeah probably a JIRA issue would be best.

Thanks,
Alex