Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "v@k" <va...@osmosis.gr> on 2008/01/23 21:25:07 UTC

problem rendering .pdf with certain fonts "(135)"

Hi everyone,

we are facing a problem rendering a .pdf when using certain .ttf files, of
e.g. Times New Roman font, or TrebuchetMS. Specifically, we get the
following message:

document (135)".

When we change the font-face into something else, like e.g. Arial, Georgia
etc., everything works fine and we get our .pdf rendered without any
problem.

We have the problem with both fop-0.93 and fop-0.94, on different
installations (on different machines). The fonts we have the problem with,
do not have embedding restrictions and no errors have been reported for any
of them during the metrics creations process (pasted below). Any help/ideas
would be greatly appreciated!

--
Parsing font...
Reading C:\server\fop-fonts\poster\win\times.ttf...

XML font metrics file successfully created.

Re: problem rendering .pdf with certain fonts "(135)"

Posted by Yashdeep <ya...@gmail.com>.
I don't have spaces in my font-name either.
I am using MS Gothic, which I had declared as MSGothic without spaces, and I
had even renamed the font TTF file to msgothic.ttf.
The other font I had used was Arial Unicode, which I was referring in all
files as ArialUni and had renamed the ttf file as arialuni.ttf.
I have seen some problem occur with spaces, which is why I had avoided using
them.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I went further into this off-list with Vangelis Karageorgos and found
out there can be a problem in 0.94 when there's a space in the font name.
However, I've only been able to reproduce the error on my side when I
manually modified the generated XML font metrics file to include a space
in the "font-name" element. And that's very strange.

Anyway, I suggest you try FOP Trunk where this problem most likely
doesn't appear after some changes I made already last year. You can also
try if the error goes away if you don't use XML font metrics files but
instead rely on the font auto-detection. See the release docs for
details. Please let me know if any of this helped. I'm still a bit
clueless why I cannot reproduce the error without manual intervention.

On 05.02.2008 15:11:28 Yashdeep wrote:

> Has anyone been able to solve this issue?
> I am getting the exact same error on FOP 0.94 while trying to embed Unicode
> Fonts (MSGothic, Arial UNI)
> Fox It reader displays the PDF fine with the Unicode content, but Acrobat
> Reader (6, 7 and 8) show the 135 error, which is meant to say "Dictionary
> Keys must be direct name objects" according to Acrobat Reader (got this
> message by clicking Ctrl + Ok button).
> It's a deal breaker for me as I cannot ask my customer base to migrate to
> FoxIt Reader en masse, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > Unless I have a way to reproduce the problem here (like an FO file, the
> > exact fonts and the exact PDF viewer in use) I don't have any
> > suggestions. I don't even know what the problem is, only that there is
> > one in certain PDF viewers. Sorry.

> >> net
> >>

> >> We are using adobe reader 8 (the latest release) and get the problem, and
> >> the latest release of Foxit Reader (2.2.) where everything shows up fine.
> >> It
> >> does look like an adobe reader bug after all, since after extensive trial
> >> and error with different fonts, we failed to reproduce the problem on the
> >> Foxit pdf viewer.
> >> Some reports mention the possibility that the bug may be due to part of
> >> the
> >> text having hyperlink attributes, any ideas/comments on that? Any
> >> possible
> >> workarounds as well?
> >>
> >> thx,
> >> --
> >

> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: problem rendering .pdf with certain fonts "(135)"

Posted by Yashdeep <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 24.01.2008 09:57:13 v@k wrote:

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >  I cannot reproduce the problem. It works fine with Acrobat 8. On the net
> > I found references that this could be a bug in Acrobat 5 and/or 6. Some
> > also mention it has to do with images embedded in the PDF. What Acrobat
> > version are you working with? "135" is an error code which is described
> > nowhere so it's difficult in the first place to know exactly what's
> > wrong. My best guess is that it's really a bug in some Acrobat version.
> > It wouldn't be the first. By far.
>

> We are using adobe reader 8 (the latest release) and get the problem, and
> the latest release of Foxit Reader (2.2.) where everything shows up fine. It
> does look like an adobe reader bug after all, since after extensive trial
> and error with different fonts, we failed to reproduce the problem on the
> Foxit pdf viewer.
> Some reports mention the possibility that the bug may be due to part of the
> text having hyperlink attributes, any ideas/comments on that? Any possible
> workarounds as well?
>
> thx,

Jeremias Maerki

Re: problem rendering .pdf with certain fonts "(135)"

Posted by "v@k" <va...@osmosis.gr>.

Re: Table header conditions

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Feb 6, 2008, at 21:51, Cristian Ferrero wrote:

Hi

> Is there a way to put conditios to a table header ? i mean if the
> node of table's group not exist i don't need any headers...actually
> doesn't show table data, but shows fields prompts (which is text ,
> for example
> <fo:table-header>
> <xsl:text>Medidor </xsl:text></fo:inline>)
>
> sorry i'm new with FOP

No problem, but can you please elaborate?
The above FO is far from complete enough to show what the issue here,
so like Eric, I'm guessing... this seems an XSLT-related question.

Depending on the exact use-case, you should be able to omit the
fo:table-header node in the stylesheet, using a construction like:

<xsl:if test="...">
   <fo:table-header>...</fo:table-header>
</xsl:if>
<fo:table-body>

In FO --meaning: after the stylesheet has been applied-- it is only
possible to conditionally omit a table-header or -footer on page-
breaks, but that's as far as it goes.

HTH!

Andreas

RE: Table header conditions

Posted by "Amick, Eric" <Er...@mail.house.gov>.
Unless I misunderstood you, this has nothing to do with FOP or FO. If
you're using a stylesheet to generate the FO, just use some sort of
xsl:if or xsl:choose test around the fo:table-header.

Eric Amick
Legislative Computer Systems
Office of the Clerk

Table header conditions

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by "v@k" <va...@osmosis.gr>.
I should add that we face this problem only on Adobe Reader. Trying the same
with other .pdf viewers, like e.g. Foxit Reader, creates a .pdf without any
problem.