Posted to user@struts.apache.org by hoffmandirt <dp...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/22 14:26:42 UTC

Spring MVC & Struts 2 Pros/Cons

What are the pros and cons, in your opinion, when choosing Struts 2 over
Spring or Spring over Struts 2? I am trying to determine which framework to
select and the last one I used was Spring 1.x and I liked it a lot. So I am
a little biased and I want to jump the gun and use Spring, but I want to
make sure because it seems like Struts 2 has a lot to offer and is very
similar to Spring. So I want to hear the best and the worst from both
frameworks. So what do you guys think?

Re: Spring MVC & Struts 2 Pros/Cons

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
When I read your first question, I thought you might be a troll, because that is
often the first question in a flame war. But it seems you are genuine, so here
are my pros and cons of struts vs spring mvc, based on the use of spring webflow
(using spring mvc underneath):

- struts interceptor architecture gives great pluggability for little cost
- struts taglibs are better than spring's with the caveat that there is a little
problem with jstl and expression lang at the moment unless you go for v2.0.9 and
turn off OGNL for safety
- struts has more bells and whistles than any one person can use because it
caters for so much
- spring mvc has simplicity
- on the other hand, spring mvc sucks in the whole spring non-container
container dependency tree
- struts is mostly more intuitive
- imho the learning curve on struts2 is bigger

Posted by hoffmandirt <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.

Posted by hoffmandirt <dp...@gmail.com>.
Maybe you didn't read my question.  I am asking for pros and cons of both
Spring 2.5 and Struts 2 to make an educated decision on a framework to use.
So no I am not kidding. Instead of saying it provides what you need, tell me
what it is that you look for in the a good framework and how Struts provides
the needs for you. Have you ever downloaded and tried the top 5 frameworks
yourself?  If you have then tell me why you chose Struts. It's that simple.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@gmail.com>.
You are kidding ... right?

Have you even downloaded and tried the top 5 web frameworks?  What are
you looking for in a web framework?  What matters to you?  I can
promise you that Struts provides what *I* need and that's why *I* am
here.  However, you will find people with EXACTLY the same opinion in
those other frameworks community.

On Jan 22, 2008 9:42 AM, hoffmandirt <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why?
>

> jmitchell wrote:
> >
> > The fact is that Struts 2 is your best choice if you are limited to
> > Java Web Frameworks.
> >

> > On Jan 22, 2008 8:26 AM, hoffmandirt <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> What are the pros and cons, in your opinion, when choosing Struts 2 over
> >> Spring or Spring over Struts 2? I am trying to determine which framework
> >> select and the last one I used was Spring 1.x and I liked it a lot. So I
> >> am
> >> a little biased and I want to jump the gun and use Spring, but I want to
> >> make sure because it seems like Struts 2 has a lot to offer and is very
> >> similar to Spring. So I want to hear the best and the worst from both
> >> frameworks. So what do you guys think?
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > James Mitchell