Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/10/08 21:17:53 UTC

Re: [FlexJS] Framework using externs (was: Setup Error)

I just pushed a bunch of changes to the flex-asjs repo in the
Core_js_to_as branch that shows that I could replace several dozen classes
that were written in JS with AS that cross-compiles to the equivalent JS.

There are many more classes to port, but I think this is the right
direction to go for many reasons:
1) It helps prove out the whole AS to JS story
2) It will reduce errors
3) It will improve consistency between the SWF and JS versions
4) More code gets shared.

The only downside I’ve found so far is that it can get a bit ugly if the
class inheritance isn’t exactly the same (which is isn’t in a few places).
 But I think the trade-off is worth it.  I still have to tidy up the build
scripts a bit.  Does anybody have time to pitch in on the rest of the
port?  If so, I will prioritize a wiki page on what to do.

This exercise also found many bugs in Falcon.  I just pushed those changes
too.  And I’ve pushed those changes to the develop branch.  There is no
need for a separate branch for the Falcon code required to cross-compile
this AS to JS right now (and hopefully never in the future either).

So, those Falcon changes will go out in the next release, whereas the
flex-asjs changes will wait for the next release after we complete the
port.

I would really like to get a release of Falcon and FlexJS soon.  I guess I
will now try to spend some time trying to make it easier to download and
build the source packages.  Separate thread on that coming up.

-Alex

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
I'll take a look at it tonight.

-Mark

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:38 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Say I found a way to get my native calls working, I still would be ata
> loss
> > for the UI graphics framework I am currently using with Feathers. I know
> Om
> > had mentioned SVG, but I didn't hear anymore about that and I have
> really 0
> > experience with it.
> >

> FlexJS + SVG would be perfect for that.  There I said it again :-)
> Seriously though, I have very little time to devote this feature.  Right
> now, I am working on node.js support for FlexJS.  After that, I hope to
> tinker with the graphics API again.
>
> More recently, one of FlexJS users Lizhi has posted Stage3D APIs ported to
> JS via FlexJS.  Have you seen that?
> Here are a few links he has sent out so far:
> Code:
> https://github.com/matrix3d/spriteflexjs/blob/master/src/TestGraphics.as
> Demo:
>
> http://matrix3d.github.io/assets/html5/flexjsstage3d/bin/js-release/indexg.html
>
> This library brings the Stage3D API to Canvas/JS via FlexJS.
>
> Thanks,
> Om

Yeah I am following all the threads, my point was, I managed to write a
pretty sturdy transpiler and I could probably figure out SVG, it's just the
time, just like you. :)

I'm also curious as to what Josh is tinkering with, if he is thinking about
a Feathers like framework using the transpiler. I absolutely love his
Feathers UI framework and wish it would translate to JS canvas or
something, I would totally help him with that. But I also know there are
pluses and minuses to that as well. I only know enough about JS graphics to
be called ignorant so I won't say anymore. :)

Mike

Re: [FlexJS] Framework using externs (was: Setup Error)

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 12/1/15, 2:27 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Anyway, I wish I had some projects for FlexJS/FlaconJX but my story is
> >still the same. I am using Feathers and AIR for some audio apps and it
> >requires native extensions calling C++ API so the JS part is kind of out
> >for me experimenting with those apps right now..
>
> FlexJS output is compatible with Cordova, so in theory you can use Cordova
> plug-ins to call the same C++, and MXML and AS to glue it all together.

Yeah, I know. :) But the thing is, I looked at Cordova and [theorized I
didn't have enough time to experiment. I'm working a day job with a friend
right now so my lab time is 0 or else now that it is .5 I would try it. All
my time atm is devoted to the Feathers apps.

I did have one app that I remember showing Om screenshots months back but
it needs to use UDP messages which last time I checked, javascript browsers
didn't support, I think maybe an android one did.

Also, the "problem" with my apps are they are more like games in a sense I
need high performance graphics/animation. You see there are to many loose
ends and questions for my stuff.

Say I found a way to get my native calls working, I still would be ata loss
for the UI graphics framework I am currently using with Feathers. I know Om
had mentioned SVG, but I didn't hear anymore about that and I have really 0
experience with it.

Anyway, I have spent more time writing this reply due to all my questions.
:)

Mike

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/1/15, 2:27 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Carlos Rovira
><carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com
>> wrote:
>
>> That sounds really amazing. So in the beginning was a mix of AS3 and
>>JS. If
>> JS didn't exit, then it was generated.
>> So, the strategy now is to have all in AS3 and *all* (or the most
>>possible)
>> JS generated?

I'm pretty confident that when we're done there won't be any .JS files in
the code base.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Carlos Rovira <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com
> wrote:

> That sounds really amazing. So in the beginning was a mix of AS3 and JS. If
> JS didn't exit, then it was generated.
> So, the strategy now is to have all in AS3 and *all* (or the most possible)
> JS generated?

Yeah, your right. If you red back in the archives I said I would love to
enable Peter and Alex to only have to focus on the framework and for them
not to have to write JS, I saw that as a huge minus for the project
actually taking off.

So I spent about 1.5 months writing the externs compiler(EXTERNC) and
getting it to mostly compile all of the google closure extern(hearder)
files.

I am so happy to hear that Alex and Peter have almost got done what I saw
could be a huge benefit with the tool I wrote.

Anyway, it's also nice to see FalconJX (my name for the failed FalconJS)
compiler actually seeing some runtime. I spent so much time writing the
unit tests and developing FalconJX that I got so depressed in 2013 I quit
basically. Alex must have seen some value in it because Erik and him got
the MXML emitter working during the time I had left.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Framework using externs (was: Setup Error)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex, that sounds amazing.

One question for me is what you refer as "externs". Could you share what
this means?

thanks!

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: iOS build verificationerror

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Ah yes, the cryptic errors you get when your apple developer certificates
are renewed.  Good, I'm glad that your problems are gone :-)

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Update:

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/14/15, 1:53 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

>Update:
>
>I got all of the classes in Core to cross-compile.  No idea if it will run
>yet, but before I go and start making it run, I think I discovered that I
>can re-organize the sources and possibly make things a bit simpler.
>
>Right now, in the Core project there is an as/src folder and an asjs/src
>folder.  The asjs/src folder contains files that cross-compile without any
>conditional compilation.  The compile options for the asjs/src folder
>actually reference the SWC generated from as/src prior to compiling the
>code in asjs/src.  And then, the asjs/src compile generates a js/out and
>then we run the as/src compile again to package the js/out into the swc.
>
>But now, with the conditional compilation flags, I believe I can now
>collapse asjs/src into as/src and use conditional compilation in the
>CoreClasses.as file to skip cross-compiling a few swf-only classes we have
>in there.
>
>Then, if that’s true, the first step in building the Core project will be
>the cross-compile step to generate the js/out, then the second pass will
>compile the swc.  And then all of our src will be in one folder which
>makes it easier to find source files.
>
>Anyway, I’m off to try to make that work.  Let me know if I’ve missed
>something or if you have questions.  This work will not be going in a
>release any time soon, it is happening in a branch.

It seems to work.  DataBindingExample still runs.  I pushed these changes,
so Core is now fully written in AS!

I’ll be porting the other SWCs soon.  This work is not intended for the
0.5.0 release.  I’d appreciate folks trying to find time to help us get
0.5.0 out the door, although I will say that the porting has uncovered
some interesting bugs in Falcon/FalconJX that will go out in 0.5.0 in case
some folks doing native JS from AS run into the same problem.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Framework using externs (was: Setup Error)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Update: