Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org> on 2016/12/13 19:41:04 UTC

Apache Drill Hangout minutes - 2016-12-13

Attendees: Arina, Boaz, Chunhui, Gautam, Karthikeyan, Khurram, Padma,
Parth, Roman, Paul, Serhiy, Sonny, Vitalii.

Serhiy - JIRA status workflow suggestion: admin can create workflows. Needs
to be a Apache infrastructure person to change this and we don't know how
easy it will be.

Karthik - Netty version should be upgraded. WE cannot do this because there
is problem with increased memory usage that is fixed only in the version
Drill uses. Subsequent releases of Netty undid the change. We need to try
out the new versions and if the problem has been reintroduced, work with
the Netty team to get it fixed.

Khurram - Question about Calcite rebase; many recent issues logged in Drill
have been fixed in Calcite. Roman testing dynamic UDFs, then will work on
Calcite.

Vitalii - Hive UDFs. built in functions especially date functions, can be
used by different storage plugins, but cannot use it from the test
methods.  Can use this only in the hive module, which is expected.

Sonny - Student data 12-15K universities, schools. Building a data lake,
and running analytics.  Looking at using filter pushdown capabilities.

Arina - design doc repository.
Temp tables - design doc is now on gist. Can we create a doc hub for Drill?
Or put into a gist doc and contributors can submit pull request.  We should
put the docs where they are archived. Also where they can be reviewed
easily.
Current best method - google docs, then after review in the contributors
github gist. Suggestion to put these docs in the Apache github.

Arina - temp tables
Is it worth creating a user specific temporary workspace? Can create any
tables, etc., but temp tables always only go here. If the user workspace
does not exist, temp tables to to temp workspace. Concerns about creating
tables in user workspace that can cause re-computation of statistics. Paul,
Arina will discuss offline.
Two temp tables with the same name as a persistent table (that might
already exist). Currently allowing it, and if both exist, then give the
temp table precedence. Concern that this is not right as there is no way to
really disambiguate.