Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Dave Bryson <da...@miceda-data.com> on 2000/12/13 04:55:29 UTC

Client PutMethod

Hi,

I trying to get the PutMethod working with the command line  client.

I'm using the slide webapp running in Tomcat 3.1 with the default
Domain.xml that comes with the webapp.  In the Domain.xml file it gives
/users/john  /action/write permission to /files. However when tyring to
perform a PUT on /files and logged in as -username john -password john I
keep getting: 403 - Access denied on /files by user /users for
/action/write.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Dave Bryson
daveb@miceda-data.com
----------------------

Re: Client PutMethod

Posted by Dave Bryson <da...@miceda-data.com>.
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> Using Tomcat 3.1 is quite likely to cause you grief all by itself -- the
> container managed security implementation was incomplete and buggy.  You should
> really be using Tomcat 3.2.1 or one of the 4.0 milestones.

Ok. I'll take your advise and upgrade.
Thanks!

--
Dave Bryson
daveb@miceda-data.com

Re: Client PutMethod

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I trying to get the PutMethod working with the command line  client.
> >
> > I'm using the slide webapp running in Tomcat 3.1 with the default
> > Domain.xml that comes with the webapp.  In the Domain.xml file it gives
> > /users/john  /action/write permission to /files. However when tyring to
> > perform a PUT on /files and logged in as -username john -password john I
> > keep getting: 403 - Access denied on /files by user /users for
> > /action/write.
> >
> > Any idea what may be causing this?
>
> According to the trace, Slide considers you're subject "/users", which means
> you're guest ( = you're not authenticated). You probably didn't add a
> security constraint in the servlet container (the web.xml file in the Slide
> web app has a section which is commented out which defines a constraint).

Using Tomcat 3.1 is quite likely to cause you grief all by itself -- the
container managed security implementation was incomplete and buggy.  You should
really be using Tomcat 3.2.1 or one of the 4.0 milestones.

> You also need to add the appropriate principal to your realm.
>
> Note : There is a SlideRealm for TC 4 which can be used to avoid having to
> define users twice. It should work fine, but it's been a while since I last
> used it so it may break.
>
> Remy

Craig McClanahan

Re: Client PutMethod

Posted by Dave Bryson <da...@miceda-data.com>.
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I trying to get the PutMethod working with the command line  client.
> >
> > I'm using the slide webapp running in Tomcat 3.1 with the default
> > Domain.xml that comes with the webapp.  In the Domain.xml file it gives
> > /users/john  /action/write permission to /files. However when tyring to
> > perform a PUT on /files and logged in as -username john -password john I
> > keep getting: 403 - Access denied on /files by user /users for
> > /action/write.
> >
> > Any idea what may be causing this?
>
> According to the trace, Slide considers you're subject "/users", which means
> you're guest ( = you're not authenticated). You probably didn't add a
> security constraint in the servlet container (the web.xml file in the Slide
> web app has a section which is commented out which defines a constraint).
>
> You also need to add the appropriate principal to your realm.

Ahh. Okay let me take a look at that and review security constraints!
There's a lot to digest to get up to speed on this project. But I guess
that's what makes it fun :-)!

--
Dave Bryson
daveb@miceda-data.com