Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au> on 2008/04/11 01:55:54 UTC

RE: Zone for scm experiments (Was: Subversion vs othersource control systems)

<snip>

> I am committing using "git svn dcommit" already. I don't think it is
> easy to notice, actually, unless I start using git "style" for commit
> messages, which I actually did yesterday:
>
> http://github.com/sgala/apache-incubator-
> shindig/commit/278fb812bf7567a0f569cc6e8e4d85782da53736 is
>
> (I applied a patch sent by Dave Johnson to the list, and I thought that
> the convention of adding Author:/Signed-off-by: headers is a good idea
> and we already have had comments on this line:
> http://markmail.org/message/fphkuo3txveiczog and even old times
> templates for acknowledgement of patches.

downstream projects get a better sense of who (to blame/) did what too.

http://www.16degrees.com.au/hudson/job/SimalWebappSVN/266/changes#detail0

I noticed the change in commit style there.

fwiw, Apache Forrest and others do mention the contributor in the log
message and in changes files etc, but this works well too.

Gav...

<snip>