Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/08/03 14:16:30 UTC

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On 7/28/08, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, den 27.07.2008, 22:20 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
>>> Is there any mailing list notification?
>> I not enabled it yet because I wanted to talk about it first on ml.
>> MAybe we should add a new ml for the notifications so we don't flood the
>> dev list ?
> Providing that mail is only sent on failure, I think this list should
> be ok. If we need to reduce traffic all the admin stuff (commits, JIRA
> etc) should be moved together. We've had 600ish messages this month so
> maybe that's worth considering.

Moving "admin stuff" to a separate list could help not loosing important
discussion and procedural threads between svn committs and JIRA updates.

On the other hand we tend to mix discussions in JIRA and the mailing
list so we should agree on the way to deal with it before planning a
switch, IMHO.

If only JIRA could track mailing list messages having its identifiers in
the subject the same way it deals with svn commit I would be happy to
move all discussions out of JIRA, but ATM I think slow discussions about
specific issues are better handled in JIRA because they are better
organized and tracked and they serve as future reference when people
will look at the same issue again in the next years. We have experience
of issues discussed multiple times and open since years.

Maybe we could move svn commits and the notifications to their own list
as a first step while keep JIRAs on server-dev... WDYT?

Stefano

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> What about raising a jia feature request ? This sounds like something
>>> wich could be interessting for more people...
>>
>> +1
>>
>> apache has good contacts at atlassian
>
> What's the way to make this contacts work? Who should we talk to?
>
> I don't believe that a feature request from me in the "JIRA's JIRA" will
> have any chance to produce something useful, unless we have a different
> path....

ask on infrastructure :-)

- robert

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer ha scritto:
> Am Montag, den 04.08.2008, 19:35 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> apache has good contacts at atlassian
>> What's the way to make this contacts work? Who should we talk to?
>>
>> I don't believe that a feature request from me in the "JIRA's JIRA" will
>> have any chance to produce something useful, unless we have a different
>> path....
>>
>> Stefano
>
> I will try to talk with James Dumay..

Great! :-)

Stefano

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Montag, den 04.08.2008, 19:35 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

> >> What about raising a jia feature request ? This sounds like something
> >> wich could be interessting for more people...
> >
> > +1
> >
> > apache has good contacts at atlassian
>
> What's the way to make this contacts work? Who should we talk to?
>
> I don't believe that a feature request from me in the "JIRA's JIRA" will
> have any chance to produce something useful, unless we have a different
> path....
>
> Stefano

I will try to talk with James Dumay..

Bye
Norman

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Montag, den 04.08.2008, 18:13 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> >> Moving "admin stuff" to a separate list could help not loosing important
> >> discussion and procedural threads between svn committs and JIRA updates.
> >>
> >> On the other hand we tend to mix discussions in JIRA and the mailing list so
> >> we should agree on the way to deal with it before planning a switch, IMHO.
> >
> > set an appropriate reply-to usually works ok for most clients
>
> My concern was about discussions happening via JIRA comments, they would
> not go through the discussion list, but only the admin list. Currently a
> JIRA comment is the substitute for a mailing list post. If we move JIRA
> notifications to an admin list beside svn comments they will loose
> visibility to developers not subscribed to the notification list.
>
> >> If only JIRA could track mailing list messages having its identifiers in the
> >> subject the same way it deals with svn commit I would be happy to move all
> >> discussions out of JIRA, but ATM I think slow discussions about specific
> >> issues are better handled in JIRA because they are better organized and
> >> tracked and they serve as future reference when people will look at the same
> >> issue again in the next years. We have experience of issues discussed
> >> multiple times and open since years.
> >
> > might be worth raising this on infra
>
> I searched the internet. I see that a similar plugin does not exists.
> There is a JIRA-NNTP bridge, but there is no NNTP server for ASF lists,
> so it is not an option. Weird, indeed, I thought it was something more
> used/requested around the world.
>
> >> Maybe we could move svn commits and the notifications to their own list as a
> >> first step while keep JIRAs on server-dev... WDYT?
> >
> > fine by me
>
> What is the list name used by other projects in this cases?
> notifications@james.a.o?
>
> Stefano

What about raising a jia feature request ? This sounds like something
wich could be interessting for more people...

Cheers,
Norman

Re: notification/commit list (was: JAMES Projects on Hudson)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> My concern was about discussions happening via JIRA comments, they would
>>> not
>>> go through the discussion list, but only the admin list. Currently a JIRA
>>> comment is the substitute for a mailing list post. If we move JIRA
>>> notifications to an admin list beside svn comments they will loose
>>> visibility to developers not subscribed to the notification list.
>>
>> makes sense

>>> What is the list name used by other projects in this cases?
>>> notifications@james.a.o?
>>
>> probably commits. see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/
>
> commits is the most common (hundreds of them). Then I see 9 "notifications"
> lists.
>
> It seems we agree on this. What is the procedure? Should we open a proposal
> thread so more people will be aware of this discussion?

for a new mailing list, it's best to have a VOTE

> I prefer "notifications@" because we'll put there more than commits but I'm
> fine with "commits@" too.

i'd recommend a POLL: the idea is to gauge support for various
alternatives so that it's possible to call a good binary VOTE. see
below for example

- robert

<example>
[POLL] Development Mailing Lists

Please cross as many as you like!

[ ] Leave My Lists Alone!
[ ] Send commits and reminders to notifications@
[ ] Send commits and reminders to commits@

notification/commit list (was: JAMES Projects on Hudson)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: JAMES Projects on Hudson