Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Gunnar Brand <Gu...@interface-projects.de> on 2021/04/07 21:51:14 UTC

AW: Empty cmap in TTF Files.

Hi Constantine

I worked on it a bit.
In the end I don't render the HOCR directly but simply transfer the Tesseract PDF data over to the PDF.
For this I clone the glyphless font (which is embedded as resource in the jar) and add it to the target page and then while transfering the PDF data change the font commands to the new font name on the fly. I also add a lot of marked content since I have the info from the HOCR file (something Tesseract should have done).

I still tried to get the HOCR rendering working, which is a big PITA once you enter the realm of sloped or rotated text. Basically all HOCR does is draw a rectangle around words and lines and giving you a single pointer to the baseline of the first word.  So you later need to calculate intersections of the baseline with word rectangles etc etc. I probably spent more time on it than I should but I wanted to get it working.

When doing the PDF transfer I found a way to mix PDContentStream with raw commands in a nicer way, and this works fine with the "broken" glyphless font, too.
All you do is set font size, set the text matrix or use newLineAtOFfset , set the text zoom and then write a raw COSString and  a raw Tj operator.
There are issues with RTL text I haven't looked at yet (you probably need to reverse the order as tesseract does) and vertical text is another thing probably not working.
I will dump the code right here. Please note that you don't really need to  create a XFormObject, you can use the page directly and apppend the text data.

The HOCR classes I am using is a hastily written HOCR parser for the tesseract hocr files. All it does is parse blocks, paragraphs, line and word XML into java classes and transfer coordinates into the PDF coordinate system (bottom to top). It does some advanced math for the baseline and rotation handling, especially to get the start coordinates for lines and words . (slope only makes sense for unrotated text, though). If all you have is 90 degree angled stuff it is kinda easy to calculate these.

I added some marked content code (excesivly with confidence properties on word level) that might make text extractors happy later on. It also requires the raw method since the other stream does not do inline dictionaries at all. (There is a inline dicitionary property "ActualText" that can overwrite the whole content of the glyphs inside, maybe worth trying out, too.)

http://kba.cloud/hocr-spec/1.2/

Gunnar

class PageMerger
{
	private final static Charset UTF16BE = Charset.forName("UTF-16BE");

	private final static Operator BDC = Operator.getOperator(OperatorName.BEGIN_MARKED_CONTENT_SEQ);
	private final static COSName DIV = COSName.getPDFName("Div");
	private final static COSName P = COSName.getPDFName("P");
	private final static COSName SPAN = COSName.getPDFName("Span");
	// might be a good idea to thing about this, see PDF spec
	private final static COSName REVERSED_CHARS = COSName.getPDFName("ReversedChars");

	private final static COSName   LANG = COSName.getPDFName("Lang");
	private final static COSName   WRITING_MODE = COSName.getPDFName("WritingMode");
	private final static COSString LTR = new COSString("LrTb");
	private final static COSString RTL = new COSString("RlTb");
	private final static COSName   CONFIDENCE = COSName.getPDFName("X_Confidence");

	private final PDDocument _doc;

	private PDFont _glyphless;

	public PageMerger(PDDocument doc) throws IOException
	{
		_doc = doc;
	}

	public void addHocrText(PDPage page, HocrPage hocr) throws IOException
	{
		final PDRectangle pageBox = page.getCropBox(), formBox = rectangle(hocr.bbox);

		PDFormXObject form = new PDFormXObject(_doc);
		form.setBBox(formBox);
		form.setResources(new PDResources());
		final COSName fname = addGlyphless(form.getResources());
		final float glyphScale = 100f * _glyphless.getBoundingBox().getHeight() / _glyphless.getBoundingBox().getWidth();

		PDPageContentStream cs = new PDPageContentStream(_doc, form, form.getContentStream().createOutputStream(COSName.FLATE_DECODE));
		ContentStreamWriter csw = new ContentStreamWriter(new PDPageContentStreamAdapter(cs));

		for ( HocrBlock block : hocr.blocks ) {
			cs.beginMarkedContent(DIV);
			cs.beginText();
			cs.setRenderingMode(RenderingMode.NEITHER);
			float size = -1f;
			for ( HocrParagraph para : block.paragraphs ) {
				if ( para.lang==null && para.dir==null ) {
					cs.beginMarkedContent(P);
				} else {
					COSDictionary dict = new COSDictionary();
					dict.setDirect(true);
					if ( para.lang!=null ) dict.setString(LANG, para.lang);
					if ( para.dir!=null ) dict.setItem(WRITING_MODE, para.dir=="ltr" ? LTR : RTL);
					csw.writeTokens(P, dict, BDC);
				}

				for ( HocrLine line : para.lines ) {
					cs.beginMarkedContent(SPAN);
					Point2D p = line.getStart();
					cs.setTextMatrix(Matrix.getRotateInstance(Math.toRadians(line.getRotation()), (float)p.getX(), (float)p.getY()));
					if ( line.size!=size ) cs.setFont(_glyphless, size = line.size);
					HocrWord last = null;
					for ( Iterator<HocrWord> lit = line.words.iterator(); lit.hasNext(); ) {
						HocrWord word = lit.next();

						COSDictionary dict = new COSDictionary();
						dict.setDirect(true);
						dict.setFloat(CONFIDENCE, word.confidence);
						if ( word.lang!=null ) dict.setString(LANG, word.lang);
						if ( word.dir!=null ) dict.setItem(WRITING_MODE, word.dir=="ltr" ? LTR : RTL);
						csw.writeTokens(SPAN, dict, BDC);

						// preferable but less reliable (produces the same error as tesseract does) :(
						if ( last!=null ) cs.newLineAtOffset(word.getDistance() - last.getDistance(), 0);
						last = word;

						// overkill but places words at the right position
//						p = word.getStart();
//						cs.setTextMatrix(Matrix.getRotateInstance(Math.toRadians(line.getRotation()), (float)p.getX(), (float)p.getY()));

						String text = word.text;
						if ( lit.hasNext() && !text.isBlank() ) text += " ";
						float zoom = glyphScale * word.getWidth() / (line.size * text.codePointCount(0, text.length()));
						cs.setHorizontalScaling(zoom);
						// COSString constructor with java string argument adds a BOM in the beginning, that ain't good.
						csw.writeToken(new COSString(text.getBytes(UTF16BE)));
						csw.writeToken(Operator.getOperator(OperatorName.SHOW_TEXT));
						cs.endMarkedContent();
					}
					cs.endMarkedContent();
				}
				cs.endMarkedContent();
			}
			cs.endText();
			cs.endMarkedContent();
		}
		cs.close();

		// Rotation matrix a b c d e f: cos sin -sin cos 0 0
		// x = a*x + c*y + e
		// y = b*x + d*y + f
		int rotation = page.getRotation();
		final float x1 = pageBox.getLowerLeftX(),  y1 = pageBox.getLowerLeftY();
		final float x2 = pageBox.getUpperRightX(), y2 = pageBox.getUpperRightY();
		final float s = pageBox.getWidth() / ((rotation % 180 == 0)  ? formBox.getWidth() : formBox.getHeight());
		Matrix m = null;
		switch(rotation) {
			case 0:   m = new Matrix( s,  0,  0,  s, x1, y1); break;
			case 180: m = new Matrix(-s,  0,  0, -s, x2, x2); break;
			case 90:  m = new Matrix(0,   s, -s,  0, x2, y1); break;
			case 270: m = new Matrix(0,  -s,  s,  0, x1, y2); break;
		}
		cs = new PDPageContentStream(_doc, page, AppendMode.APPEND, true, true);
		cs.transform(m);
		cs.drawForm(form);
		cs.close();
	}

	private COSName addGlyphless(PDResources target) throws IOException
	{
		if ( _glyphless!=null ) return target.add(_glyphless);
		try (
			InputStream in = PageMerger.class.getResourceAsStream("glyphless.pdf");
			PDDocument template = PDDocument.load(in)
		) {
			PDResources source = template.getPage(0).getResources();
			PDFont font = cloneFont(source, source.getFontNames().iterator().next());
			COSName name = target.add(font);
			_glyphless = target.getFont(name);
			return name;
		}
	}

	private PDFont cloneFont(PDResources source, COSName name) throws IOException
	{
		PDFont f1 = source.getFont(name);
		PDFCloneUtility c = new PDFCloneUtility(_doc);
		return new PDType0Font((COSDictionary)c.cloneForNewDocument(f1.getCOSObject()));
	}

	private static PDRectangle rectangle(Rectangle bbox)
	{
		return new PDRectangle(bbox.x, bbox.y, bbox.width, bbox.height);
	}

	@SuppressWarnings("deprecation")
	private static class PDPageContentStreamAdapter extends OutputStream
	{
		private final PDPageContentStream stream;

		PDPageContentStreamAdapter(PDPageContentStream stream) {
			this.stream = stream;
		}

		@Override public void write(int b) throws IOException {
			stream.appendRawCommands(b);
		}

		@Override public void write(byte[] b) throws IOException {
			stream.appendRawCommands(b);
		}

		@Override public void write(byte[] b, int off, int len) throws IOException {
			stream.appendRawCommands(off==0 && len==b.length ? b : Arrays.copyOfRange(b, off, off + len));
		}
	}
}