Posted to ruleqa@spamassassin.apache.org by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com> on 2017/03/15 17:47:33 UTC

Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

We are in the process of migrating off old machines to a new one for the
masschecks and rule update processing.

Unfortunately the required shutdown of the old machines has happened before
everything was complete on the replacement.

The existing data is safe and is being migrated. However submission of new
masscheck data and generation and download of rule updates are not running
until the new machine is brought up.

I don't have a specific ETA for the new machine right now, just the assurance
that the work is in progress.

I'll post more details when I get them.

Regards,

 Sidney

Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
Kevin A. McGrail kirjoitti 15.9.2017 18:11:
> On 4/20/2017 11:39 AM, Eric Wollesen wrote:
>> On 04/20/2017 09:00 AM, Bryan Vest wrote:
>>> We have recently started a migration away from CentOS to Ubuntu at
>>> our
>>> server farm. If you do decide to go the Ubuntu route I will do what I
>>> can
>>> to help if needed.
>>> No certs here, 22 years of self teaching, 13 years with the same
>>> employer
>>> as Admin of all things.
>>>
>>> --Bryan Vest
>>>

>> Long time Ubuntu user/admin (over 10 years), self-taught admin,
>> professional software developer. Glad to help in any way.
>>
>> e.
>
> Eric, could you join sysadmins@spamassassin.apache.org, please?
>

> Regards,
>
> KAM

I'm also a delf taught sysadmin/developer (C,C++,Java, not Perl yuck),
started with Linux in 1995 or so. I could help on something I could
guess. I feel myself comfy with both the Ubuntu and CentOS.

--
jarif@iki.fi

Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by Eric Wollesen <er...@xmtp.net>.

ericw@xmtp.net

Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 4/20/2017 9:49 AM, David Jones wrote:
> I am a RedHat/CentOS person -- former RHCE in RHEL 6 and current
> RHCSA in RHEL 7.  If you want to use CentOS 7, I can help.

I prefer RH as well.  Ubuntu was not my preference either.  Let me check
if we can get any change on that.

Regards,

KAM

Re: Help With SA Machines was Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
>From: Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org>

>On 4/20/2017 9:49 AM, David Jones wrote:
>> I am a RedHat/CentOS person -- former RHCE in RHEL 6 and current
>> RHCSA in RHEL 7.  If you want to use CentOS 7, I can help.
>+dev list for SpamAssassin.

>David, short of me running own boxes outside of the foundation,
>Infrastructure confirmed that it's Ubuntu or the highway.  But we do
>always need help and fresh blood and you might be helpful even on Ubuntu
>because the work is pretty heavy on cross-disciplinary work from DNS to
>HTML to SSH.

>You, Eric and Brian all mentioned helping so this email is specifically
>for you three.  With any project, there is always a need for talent
>beyond programmers like testers, people to answer users, docs,
>sysadmins, etc.

>Would you like to step up to helping formally with sysadmin work on the
>boxes?  I can give a lot of guidance towards how I would do things and
>there are some specific goals that I think are achievable.
>Specifically, we need to get the sa-vm1 Ubuntu box online replacing what
>two older boxes used to do.  I have specifics and I migrated one of
>those boxes about 2 years ago from Solaris to Centos and I have pretty
>copious notes.

I would still like to help.  I do like many things about Debian and this would
be something to help me broaden my knowledge to Ubuntu.  I have plenty
of experience where I could definitely support Ubuntu.  It may require me
to do a little research as I go just to learn the best practices on Ubuntu as
I try to stick with RedHat best practices on CentOS.

There are many different ways to admin servers but I have learned
sticking with the OS's standards goes a long way with future support
and especially when there are multiple sysadmins on the same servers.

>If you would like to step up and be a committer on the project, Do any
>of you have an ICLA on file? Would you file one?
>https://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

I will submit an ICLA shortly under my personal email address that will
remain with me in the event I leave my current employer.

>Beyond that, there is private data on these servers so there is some
>level of ethics you need that goes beyond what the ASF typically covers
>for contributors. I use this code of ethics for my work as a sysadmin:
>https://www.pccc.com/base.cgim?template=sage_code_of_ethics   Could you
>follow that?

Absolutely.   Very nice document.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
>From: Kevin A. McGrail <KM...@PCCC.com>

>On 4/20/2017 8:35 AM, David Jones wrote:
>> Can I help with this effort?  With all due respect, this has been down
>> too long.

>We are always looking for help.  The system is in need of people skilled
>in system administration.  The system was ported from Solaris to CentOS
>about 2 years ago and now needs to be ported again to Ubuntu.

> Is that something you can help with?

I am a RedHat/CentOS person -- former RHCE in RHEL 6 and current
RHCSA in RHEL 7.  If you want to use CentOS 7, I can help.

Dave

Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Posted by Dave Warren <da...@hireahit.com>.
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017, at 04:28, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> On 3/28/2017 2:39 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 10:47, Sidney Markowitz wrote:

> >> We are in the process of migrating off old machines to a new one
> >> for the
> >> masschecks and rule update processing.

> > Howdy! Is there any approximate ETA at this time?

> > I'm making some changes to my masscheck box and I want to
> > pencil in a
> > bit of time to test and verify my new spam management environment.

> I'm working on it again today for 2 hours but there is no ETA.

No worries, thanks. I'll postpone my efforts to late April, after I
return from travelling. I think my existing system will work until then,
it just may not receive any new mail, nor expire out old mail, but this
shouldn't hurt anyone for a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for for all your efforts!

Re: Mass check and rule updates - Down for machine migration

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by Dave Warren <da...@hireahit.com>.