Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@clearink.com> on 2000/01/17 19:05:03 UTC

log4j package

Hmmm...seems to be improved quite a bit and has a strong focus on speed as
well as syslog support. Maybe we should consider using this code?

 http://www.zurich.ibm.com/Technology/log4j/

-jon

Re: log4j package

Posted by Wong Kok Wai <wo...@pacific.net.sg>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> As for today's alphaworks license, no, we can't use that code.

log4j is licensed under IBM's public license, which I think it's ok to use
the source code.

Taken from the IBM's public license:

        a) Subject to the terms of this Agreement, each Contributor
        hereby grants Recipient a non-exclusive, worldwide,
        royalty-free copyright license to reproduce, prepare
        derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform,
        distribute and sublicense the Contribution of such
        Contributor, if any, and such derivative works, in source code
        and object code form.

Re: log4j package

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Rod McChesney wrote:

> Note this is also on the alphaworks site -- I don't know if one of them
> is more recent.
>
> http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/tech/logpackage
>
> Out of curiosity, can the AlphaWorks classes be used in Jakarta code?
> Seems like there are quite a few packages that might useful, if only as
> starting point. For instance they have some XML-to-bean mechanisms that
> might apply in the configuration discussion.

As for today's alphaworks license, no, we can't use that code.

But we can ask IBM to donate some code to this project with another
license if we think this is a valuable alternative. I know IBM folks
would be happy to partecipate actively in this project but somehow they
don't know how to jump in as a corporate because they fear friction with
the other companies involved.

I know, this whole thing of legal crap sucks big time, but there's not
much we can't do unless asking for donations or rewrite our own.

STefano.

Re: log4j package

Posted by Rod McChesney <ro...@korobra.com>.
Note this is also on the alphaworks site -- I don't know if one of them
is more recent.

http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/tech/logpackage

Out of curiosity, can the AlphaWorks classes be used in Jakarta code?
Seems like there are quite a few packages that might useful, if only as
starting point. For instance they have some XML-to-bean mechanisms that
might apply in the configuration discussion.

Rod McChesney

Re: log4j package