Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "dixingxing85@163.com" <di...@163.com> on 2020/07/24 11:02:38 UTC

Kafka compatibility between 2.2.x to 0.10.0.0

Hi kafka comunity:
I have two questions:
1. Is it ok to use kafka-clients 2.2.1(java/scala)  to access kafka cluster 0.10.0.0 ?
2. Is there any risk to rolling upgrade kafka from 0.10.0.0 to 2.2.x? we will probably do the upgrade in a few month.

Best,
Xingxing Di

Re: Re: Kafka compatibility between 2.2.x to 0.10.0.0

Posted by "dixingxing85@163.com" <di...@163.com>.
Hi Vitalii Stoianov, thanks for the reply.
We are going to upgrade both clients and brokers from 0.10.0.0 to 2.2.x,we have multi clusters now, so probably we will upgrade clients first then upgrade kafka cluster one by one.
I known this upgrade wont able to roll back, so if someone has done this before, you can tell me what problems we are facing.

Best,
Xingxing Di

From: Vitalii Stoianov
Date: 2020-07-25 16:12
To: users
Subject: Re: Kafka compatibility between 2.2.x to 0.10.0.0
Hi  Xingxing Di,

Are you going to upgrade clients from 0.10.0.0 to 2.2.x or clients +
brokers ?
1. I think so, for more information on what incompatibilities clients may
notice when working with an old broker please check this page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Compatibility+Matrix
2. Message format change, check upgrade there are some steps after
which you won't be able to roll back the server if something goes wrong:
https://kafka.apache.org/22/documentation.html#upgrade

Also check release notes for each release between 0.10.0.0 to 2.2.x. There
can be some crucial information that will impact your decision to upgrade ,
for example for 2.2.1:
https://kafka.apache.org/22/documentation.html#upgrade_221_notable

Few important changes to notices:
In kafka 0.10.1. roll log mechanics was changed now it uses kafka message
createTime for more info check:
https://kafka.apache.org/22/documentation.html#upgrade_10_1_breaking, if
the creatTime is incorrect on messages it may lead to some issues on the
broker.
Message format changes in 0.11.0
https://kafka.apache.org/22/documentation.html#upgrade_1100_notable, if the
broker messages format changes to a new one i think there is no way to roll
back.
You can find more on https://kafka.apache.org/22/documentation.html#upgrade

Regards,
Vitalii.