Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2013/08/03 19:43:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Hi all

This is the first release candidate for Apache jclouds
1.6.2-incubating, the second jclouds release at Apache.

This is a PPMC vote - if this passes, we'll move it onward to an IPMC
vote. Please use the separate [DISCUSS] thread for anything but votes.

It fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12324574&styleName=Html&projectId=12314430

*** Please download, test and vote by Wednesday, August 7th, 06:00 PDT
/ 09:00 EDT / 15:00 CET.

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided
for convenience.

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~andrewp/jclouds-1.6.2-incubating-rc0/

Maven staging repos:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-052/
(jclouds, jclouds-chef, jclouds-labs-openstack)
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-056/
(jclouds-labs)
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-057/
(jclouds-karaf, jclouds-cli)

Note: Nexus automatically created new staging repos after a certain
elapsed time.

The tags to be voted upon:
- jclouds -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds.git;a=tag;h=44180362feefb1cfdc24cdbbf76ab4540bad8463
- jclouds-labs -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-labs.git;a=tag;h=ef25852dd80a9b9742ae1c5a983995ecadec2bfc
- jclouds-labs-openstack -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-labs-openstack.git;a=tag;h=86f7bd0bf05fc72a5108a4aa2f997e3c82cca299
- jclouds-chef -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-chef.git;a=commit;h=f385b81a18c07e12a4e188e450a30612b5fbdcb5
- jclouds-karaf -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-karaf.git;a=tag;h=3b2f58701608afb62a483d99322dba634ce2a23c
- jclouds-cli -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-cli.git;a=tag;h=befe858aa7cd8a2d9a3e166c7bf25f77e45b5acb

jclouds KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/jclouds/KEYS

[ ] +1
[ ] 0
[ ] -1 (explain why)

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
Functionality and test disabled in master and 1.6.x.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
Suggested course of action for 1.6.x would be to disable this test or
anticipate intermittent failures and address JCLOUDS-217 for 1.7.0
and, potentially, 1.6.3?

ap

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 09:56:57AM -0700, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> > I will submit a pull request to address the AWS-S3 live test regression
> > but this should not block 1.6.2:
> >
> >       testSignPutUrlWithTime(org.jclouds.aws.s3.blobstore.integration.AWSS3BlobSignerLiveTest): The request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your key and signing method.
>
> This is due to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-217 (if
> you see the logs, you'll see that the signature contains a '+'), a
> possible fix is at https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/82

While I want commit this, the suggested fix has too much risk for 1.6.2
and possibly for 1.6.x.  We can revisit this and hopefully Guava 15
UriEscapers in 1.7.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@maginatics.com>.

http://maginatics.com

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> I prefer to work on stabilizing the releases as-is but we should
> delegate this decision to the release manager's discretion.

Potential regressions due to this one on my head! Cutting RC2 tomorrow
morning...

Thanks to everyone for all the investigation and prep work!

ap

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: Correct Affects Version(s) for non-released code?

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 08:14:43PM +0200, Andrew Phillips wrote:
> >>Perhaps we should only tag issues if they affect a released version.
> >>Most users only care about these.
>
> Just to check: do you mean "don't set the Affects Version" or "don't create
> a JIRA issue for them"?
>
> +1 for the former, if I'm understanding that correctly.

Definitely the former!

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 - that makes sense.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> I think we should release rc2 without waiting for JCLOUDS-178.  I do not
> fully understand this issue, but 1.6.1 and all previous releases had
> this issue so it must not be too serious.

Can't speak to the seriousness, but given the evident impact and need
for further understanding I don't think we have time to address this
properly for 1.6.2.

So agree on the course of action, just wanted to ensure that was clear.

ap

RE: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
Thanks for the summary, Zack.

Cutting 1.6.2-incubating-rc1 is already underway, and given the
current delay already I'd prefer not to postpone any longer. If other
issues are uncovered with the RC, we could revisit if a candidate fix
is available.

Otherwise, my vote would be to include this in 1.6.3.

ap

RE: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
Fixing JCLOUDS-178:
Pros:
It affects at least one user with a long-running script. It affects heavy users more than light users. It should affect multiple providers. It should not take a lot of code to fix.
Cons:
Higher-risk change (affects a lot of code). Previous releases had that issue.

I am in favor of fixing it, if there is time.

Zack

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:38 PM, Andrew Phillips wrote:

>> I happily defer to the release manager on what gets in. =)
>>
>> (but yes, this seems reasonable)
>
> Thanks, abayer!
>
> @everett: good to merge!

Thanks! All good to go.

Everett

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
I happily defer to the release manager on what gets in. =)

(but yes, this seems reasonable)

A.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-234
>
> I've committed them to 1.7.0 but haven't cherry picked to 1.6.x yet.

I know we agreed to open the branch only for changes to fix the issues
identified, but having looked at the changes the risk of these seems
low enough to me to include them.

However, I'll rely on the guidance of abayer and the mentors as to
whether this is something we can get away with, or which we should
rather avoid in following ASF release practice.

ap

Re: Correct Affects Version(s) for non-released code?

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps it would be reasonable to leave the Affect Version field blank in
that case.

Another option, and that is what we do internally in Abiquo, could be to
add the SNAPSHOT versions to JIRA, so we can properly classify issues
affecting development versions. I'm not sure if having those versions in
JIRA makes sense for jclouds (will be rarely used), but it works fine for
us.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 05:47:30PM +0200, Andrew Phillips wrote:
> >https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-231 (-1 binding vote from
> >Andrew Gaul)
> >https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-233
>
> Just curious what the status is on these? I see we have a PR open [1] for
> 233 - anything for 231?
>
> Once these is merged successfully we'll recut RC2...

The minimum we need to recut RC2 is committing a fix for JCLOUDS-233.
This commit should have a unit but this should not block 1.6.2.

I reverted the offending commit for JCLOUDS-231 and committed the test
which demonstrates the regression.  We should rework the original commit
to with some retry behavior but this should not block 1.6.2.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
Due to the following issues uncovered in testing, the vote for
jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0 is cancelled. We will re-cut RC1 after
addressing the issues.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-231 (-1 binding vote
from Andrew Gaul)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-233

Thank you all for the thorough testing!

ap

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Your call. I'd tend to go with branching, but that's just me and my
tendency towards branching all over the place. =)

A.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds-1.6.2-incubating RC0

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
...and remember, everyone, you should be voting on this! =)

A.

>>> orgapachejclouds-052/<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-052/>(jclouds, jclouds-chef, jclouds-labs-openstack)
>>> https://repository.apache.org/**content/repositories/**
>>> orgapachejclouds-056/<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-056/>(jclouds-labs)