Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Richard Emberson <re...@outerharbor.com> on 2002/05/28 16:52:57 UTC

maven's default checkstyle settings

I would like a new property called

maven.checkstyle.propfile="location of maven's checkstyle properties"

so that I can have one file that defines all of the projects' checkstyle
property values
and have each project simple include that file via the above property
setting.
If you are using Gump for your own projects, then having to enter in the
stylecheck
property values multiple places is not a good thing.

In addition, one could define a sun-stylecheck property file (although
stylecheck states
that Sun's coding conventions is its default, for some reason some other
coding
convension is maven's default - tower of babel strikes again), and as
many other
different stylecheck property files as needed for all of the other
styles that ones multiple
projects built by Gump might use.

Generally one has one's own company's style guidelines and that all of
those other ones from
3rd party code used by your projects. If you use just one set of
checkstyle properties, you
will get error reports. What is needed is one stylecheck property file
for each different
group of java code with a specified style. The project descriptor file
would be where one might
set the value of the checkstyle property file name/location.

Richard Emberson

Re: maven's default checkstyle settings

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.
On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 07:52:57AM -0700, Richard Emberson wrote:
> I would like a new property called
>
> maven.checkstyle.propfile="location of maven's checkstyle properties"
>
> so that I can have one file that defines all of the projects'
> checkstyle property values and have each project simple include that
> file via the above property setting.  If you are using Gump for your
> own projects, then having to enter in the stylecheck property values
> multiple places is not a good thing.

You can set your checkstyle properties on a per-user basis, per-build
basis, or per-project basis (via ~/build.properties, build.properties,
project.properties files).  Does this not adequately meet your needs?

> Generally one has one's own company's style guidelines and that all of
> those other ones from 3rd party code used by your projects. If you use
> just one set of checkstyle properties, you will get error reports.
> What is needed is one stylecheck property file for each different
> group of java code with a specified style. The project descriptor file
> would be where one might set the value of the checkstyle property file
> name/location.

At the moment this is not supported.  It is assumed that an entire
project should adhere to the same coding style.  I'm curious how many
people would be interested in setting style policy settings on a
per-location basis in the source tree.  Is this something that many
people would want?  I guess I don't see the value, when I check source
into my source trees, I want it all to comply to my licensing, styles
conventions, and other policies.

Thanks,
Pete