Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/08 03:44:45 UTC

[VOTE] Release commons-parent 7

Hi,

In removing the remote-resources-plugin I ommitted to add back local
resource configuration for the NOTICE.tx and LICENSE.txt files.
Because of this I would like to do another release of commons-parent.
Apologies for this.

The changes since the the last release of version 6 in summary:

Changes to the pom.xml:
 - Configure NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt resources
 - Change the order of the mail archives
 - specify the Cobertura plugin version

There are no changes to the site.xml

A full diff of the pom.xml can be found at this address:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=609839&r2=608470&diff_format=h

The version number in the pom will be updated automatically during the
release process.

[ ] +1
[ ] =0
[ ] -1

Vote is open for 72 hours

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 7

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
This vote has failed with only two votes. Also theres a few other
changes to go into the pom from the discussion(s) .

Niall

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 7:55 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:

>>> Apologies - I just tried specifying the latest javadoc plugin version
>>> (2.3) and it worked. I'm just wondering why the javadoc jar plugin
>>> doesn't also do the "local" resources as well?
>> You normally don't want the javadoc-plugin to include your normal
>> resources, the ones that end up in target/classes during the build. You
>> can however tell the javadoc-plugin to use special javadoc resources if
>> you want to:
>>
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/examples/javadoc-resources.html
>
> I tried adding that to the javadoc plugin configuration
>    <javadocDirectory>target/classes/META-INF</javadocDirectory>
>
> but it didn't work and looking at the copyJavadocResources() method in
> AbstractJavadocMojo (http://tinyurl.com/2ewwyz) it appears to pass an
> includes parameter of "**/doc-files" to Plexus's FileUtils
> getDirectoryNames() method (http://tinyurl.com/2cnokz) - so my reading
> is these files would need to be in a "doc-files" directory - is this
> correct or am I doing something wrong?

Reading the page I supplied a little more carefully I think that you a
right. It can't do what I thought it could, so you can't use that to
include license and notice files.

> Niall
>
>>> Niall

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 7

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 7:12 PM, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Actually it does. maven-remote-resources-plugin places the remotely
>>> fetched resources in a special directory. These resources are then
>>> included into the created jar file by maven-javadoc-plugin and
>>> maven-source-plugin.
>> Well I tried it and it didn't.
>
> Apologies - I just tried specifying the latest javadoc plugin version
> (2.3) and it worked. I'm just wondering why the javadoc jar plugin
> doesn't also do the "local" resources as well?

You normally don't want the javadoc-plugin to include your normal
resources, the ones that end up in target/classes during the build. You
can however tell the javadoc-plugin to use special javadoc resources if
you want to:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/examples/javadoc-resources.html

> Niall
>
>> Niall

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 7

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 8, 2008 6:49 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:

> >> I'll be more than happy if we'll be able to get rid of that policy.
> >> Nevertheless it is what I was forced to do for releases of
> >> commons-fileupload and commons-io in the past. And, AFAIK, it is
> >> automatically enforced by the maven-remote-resources-plugin.
> >
> > Actually remote resourcs doesn't.
>
> Actually it does. maven-remote-resources-plugin places the remotely
> fetched resources in a special directory. These resources are then
> included into the created jar file by maven-javadoc-plugin and
> maven-source-plugin.

Well I tried it and it didn't.

Niall

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:

>>> No - but AIUI it doesn't need to since it only contains the generated
>>> javadoc and not anything we develop.
>> I'll be more than happy if we'll be able to get rid of that policy.
>> Nevertheless it is what I was forced to do for releases of
>> commons-fileupload and commons-io in the past. And, AFAIK, it is
>> automatically enforced by the maven-remote-resources-plugin.
>
> Actually remote resourcs doesn't.

Actually it does. maven-remote-resources-plugin places the remotely
fetched resources in a special directory. These resources are then
included into the created jar file by maven-javadoc-plugin and
maven-source-plugin.

> Niall
>
>> Jochen
>>
>> --
>> Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
>> you break 'em.
>>
>>     -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 7

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 8, 2008 4:32 PM, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 4:11 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No - but AIUI it doesn't need to since it only contains the generated
> > > javadoc and not anything we develop.
> >
> > Javadoc is full of copyright - that's why it's the part of spec jars
>
> Yes and we have our copyright notice on every page.
>
> > we can't replicate. Just because it's a secondary artifact doesn't
> > change that - so I bet we should have the files in the javadoc jars.
>
> Well it just seems like rule-making gone mad and I bet if you went
> looking thru' all the m2 generated javadoc jars in the ASF distro dirs
> then none would have it.

I posted this on legal-discuss here:
http://apache.markmail.org/message/cnmhhqpk5o6hlv7e

Niall