Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jan Labanowski <jk...@osc.edu> on 2001/03/08 04:40:08 UTC

Re: tomcat ssl config and apachey

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, mikhail malamud wrote:

> Do I need to configure anything on Tomcat for SSL if I already have SSL
> working on Apache and Apache  works together with Tomcat. Why?
>

> Thanks,
>
> MIkhail

You do not only need, but you actually cannot configure SSL in Tomcat
if your requests are handled by Apache. The SSL in Tomcat is only
used when you use Tomcat as a web server. If you use Tomcat as a servlet/JSP
container which talks to apache via mod_jk, you have to configure SSL
in Apache.
Things to remember is that if you want to serve your servlets/JSP ONLY
via HTTPS you must incluse all the mod_jk context mounting stuff
within the virtual host, e.g.,

<VirtualHost _default_:443>
Include /full/path/to/mod_jk.conf
</VirtualHost>

in your httpd.conf, but you must comment out/delete the

LoadModule jk_module          libexec/mod_jk.so
AddModule mod_jk.c

within mod_jk.conf file and add them in the Load/Add/Module block at the
beginning of your httpd.conf

If you want to do HTTP and HTTPS with identical contexts, you just
include your /full/path/to/mod_jk.conf in httpd.conf before the
SSL virtural host, though it will also work if you include it at the
very end of httpd.conf

Jan

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: jkl@osc.edu
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/