Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Liao, Yanjun" <Ya...@ca.com> on 2004/01/29 21:45:21 UTC

Questions about slide 2.0

Hi,
	Our company is looking for an open source CMS solution. We would
like to contribute if possible. I just downloaded the snapshot
jakarta-slide_20040127172318.tar.gz and built it successfully. I noticed
that slide 2.0 has much more features than the previous release. But I
am still new to this project, and have some questions. I appreciate
anyone's answer.
	1. In general, does slide performance well enough for production
environment? Have any stress test be performed on Slide? Do you think
Slide handle transaction and scalability well? Or just as said in an
attached presentation, it is "a proof of concept"?
	2. Is there any client interface I can use to try out slide
features? I know there is a command line client, but it doesn't seem to
have all commands such as search.
	3. Can permission be assigned to each user, or just role/group
based?
	4. In feature list, there is a sentence, "DASL support for any
backend, extensible for using backends search capabilities for higher
scalability and less latency". I really want to know what it means, and
how can I try out DSAL features.

Thanks a lot,

Yanjun Liao

Re: Questions about slide 2.0

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@c1-fse.de>.
Am Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2004 21:45 schrieb Liao, Yanjun:
> Hi,
> 	Our company is looking for an open source CMS solution. We would
> like to contribute if possible. I just downloaded the snapshot
> jakarta-slide_20040127172318.tar.gz and built it successfully. I noticed
> that slide 2.0 has much more features than the previous release. But I
> am still new to this project, and have some questions. I appreciate
> anyone's answer.
> 	1. In general, does slide performance well enough for production
> environment?
It depends on what you want to do with it :-) If you want to use it as a
document management it does well. If you want to use it to e.g. render web
pages on the fly - forget it. Slide is not yet performance optimized, so it's
not as fast as can be...

 Have any stress test be performed on Slide? Do you think
> Slide handle transaction and scalability well? Or just as said in an
> attached presentation, it is "a proof of concept"?
Scalability and transaction handling depends mostly on the underlying store.
But event the filestore supports transaction handling at different isolation
levels etc.
It's not yet possible to cluster the slide core as far as I know. So this
might be the bottleneck in terms of scalability.

Have a look at cadaver (www.webdav.org).

> 	3. Can permission be assigned to each user, or just role/group
> based?
> 	4. In feature list, there is a sentence, "DASL support for any
> backend, extensible for using backends search capabilities for higher
> scalability and less latency". I really want to know what it means, and
> how can I try out DSAL features.
There is a really slow store independent search implementation (BasicSearch)
right now and some sophisticated search provided by the tamino store (e.g.
you can use XPath expressions in your DASL request) and it is planned to
implement a lucene based search but it not yet begun.

Re: Questions about slide 2.0

Posted by Michael Oliver <ol...@matrix-media.com>.
On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 13:45, Liao, Yanjun wrote:

> Hi,
> 	Our company is looking for an open source CMS solution. We would
> like to contribute if possible. I just downloaded the snapshot
> jakarta-slide_20040127172318.tar.gz and built it successfully. I noticed
> that slide 2.0 has much more features than the previous release. But I
> am still new to this project, and have some questions. I appreciate
> anyone's answer.
> 	1. In general, does slide performance well enough for production
> environment?

Yes for sure, since it doesn't require an Applicaton Server or J2EE
container, it is quite fast.  We use the XML Stores and so far no
scalability problems, but we only have about 600 users.

> Have any stress test be performed on Slide? Do you think
> Slide handle transaction and scalability well? Or just as said in an
> attached presentation, it is "a proof of concept"?

I know several companies that are building on Slide as it is and would
not if they didn't think it would do the job.

> 	2. Is there any client interface I can use to try out slide
> features? I know there is a command line client, but it doesn't seem to
> have all commands such as search.

Use Windows Web Folders and WebDAV or a Microsoft Office Product like
Word...;-)

> 	3. Can permission be assigned to each user, or just role/group
> based?

Yes you can grant and deny permissions on a by resource by user if you
want.

> 	4. In feature list, there is a sentence, "DASL support for any
> backend, extensible for using backends search capabilities for higher
> scalability and less latency". I really want to know what it means, and
> how can I try out DSAL features.

Me too!  The DASL guys can answer better than I at this point.