Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM> on 2008/10/15 12:50:36 UTC

maven-release-plugin not able to locate extensions

Hi,

I am having problems using maven-release-plugin and I need some help
urgently. While doing a release:prepare, maven is not able to locate an
extension. I am using maven 2.0.7 on JDK 1.5. Given below are the
essential details of the pom.xml that's facing the issue:
    <parent>
        <groupId>org.glassfish.ejb</groupId>
        <artifactId>ejb</artifactId>
        <version>3.0-Prelude</version>
    </parent>
    <version>3.0-Prelude</version>
    <artifactId>ejb-timer-databases</artifactId>
    <packaging>distribution-fragment</packaging>
    <build>
        <extensions>
            <extension>
                <groupId>org.glassfish.build</groupId>
                <artifactId>maven-glassfish-extension</artifactId>
                <version>${project.version}</version>
            </extension>
        </extensions>
    </build>

As you can see, it uses a packaging type called distribution-fragment,
which is understood by our own extension called
org.glassfish.build:maven-glassfish-extension. We build the extension as
part of the same reactor. For some other reason, we don't use
<extensions>true</extensions> in our plugin configuration. I am able to
do a normal build successfully, but when I am trying to prepare a
release using maven-release-plugin, it fails with following error:

        [INFO]
        [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
        [INFO]
        [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

    Missing:
        ----------
        1) org.glassfish.build:maven-glassfish-extension:jar:3.0-Prelude

      Then, install it using the command:
              mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.glassfish.build
-DartifactId=maven-glassfish-extension \
                  -Dversion=3.0-Prelude -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
        Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy
the file there:       mvn deploy:deploy-file
-DgroupId=org.glassfish.build -DartifactId=maven-glassfish-extension \
                  -Dversion=3.0-Prelude -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file \
                   -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

      Path to dependency:
                1)
org.glassfish.ejb:ejb-timer-databases:distribution-fragment:3.0-Prelude
                2)
org.glassfish.build:maven-glassfish-extension:jar:3.0-Prelude

    ----------
        1 required artifact is missing.

    for artifact:

org.glassfish.ejb:ejb-timer-databases:distribution-fragment:3.0-Prelude

What is surprising is that it fails even when I have built the extension
separately and installed it in my local repository. How can I avoid this
error?

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: maven-release-plugin not able to locate extensions

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@sun.com>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Sahoo <Sa...@sun.com> wrote:
>

>> As you can see, it uses a packaging type called distribution-fragment, which
>> is understood by our own extension called
>> org.glassfish.build:maven-glassfish-extension. We build the extension as
>> part of the same reactor.
>>

> Try configuring the release plugin to run all the way through
> 'install' rather than through 'integration-test' which is the default.
>
> This isn't ideal, as you're building the artifact with the released
> version in the filename _before_ the 'perform release' step, but there
> are certain situations where it can't find things in the reactor.

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to read my email
and suggesting something. I tried your suggestion as shown below:
mvn -o release:prepare -DautoVersionSubmodules=true -DdryRun=true
-DpreparationGoals="clean install"
, but it fails with same error.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--