Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2022/05/13 06:04:55 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Hi,

I think there may still be some issues around DorisDB [1] and StarRocks, although these might not be a graduation issues.

For instance StarRocks claims it’s  "Free and Open Software” but it actually under the Elastic License 2.0.

There are some minor ASF branding/trademark issues on their site as well. [2]

I notice headers in its code state "
// This file is made available under Elastic License 2.0.
// This file is based on code available under the Apache license here:
//   XXX

// Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
// or more contributor license agreements.
….”

AFAIK the project could not change the code from the ASF to the Elastic License 2.0. Any additions could be under a different license but not the original ASF code.

Take a file a random I’m compared them [3][4] and there's no difference between the code at all.

I’m curious is there any relationship between the proposed Doris PMCor project and StarRocks?

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://github.com/DorisDB
2. https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/index
3. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StarRocks/starrocks/8a2d51f986fd46c1d78e152905e06ce7aa932437/fs_brokers/apache_hdfs_broker/src/main/java/com/starrocks/common/ThriftServer.java
4. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/incubator-doris/master/fs_brokers/apache_hdfs_broker/src/main/java/org/apache/doris/common/ThriftServer.java

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by Zhao Chun <zh...@apache.org>.
Yes, StarRocks is my employer now.
After I learned that there is a license issue in StarRocks codebase, I
informed this to the company.
When we realized the oversight, we changed the license headers ASAP.

Thanks,
Zhao Chun

John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> 于2022年5月20日周五 20:27写道:

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zhao Chun <zh...@apache.org>.
Justin, thanks for your note.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

The project was aware of these issues before the graduation proposal was submitted, and some issues had been outstanding for more than a year. I understand it can be complex and take time dealing with 3rd parties about these issues, but I do have to ask if there are people from StarRocks on the PPMC, why was this not resolved earlier? Also why should those people, that have relicensed Apache Doris under Elastic License 2.0, be on the proposed PMC?

Also, this seems very reactive. Projects need to proactively manage their trademarks and brand and not just fix things when asked to.

Not a project problem, but I’ll also note that the StarRock changes mentioned are not enough to comply with the Apache license requirements. Small changes do not allow StarRocks to change the license of a file without the copyright holder's permission.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re:Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
The website[1] has been modified, such as adding asf disclaimer at the footer.
And this artical[2] is a machine-translated article by a third-party website. We have contacted the author to delete the corresponding Chinese article.(This article is just a personal blog and does not come from starrocks company or PPMC members)

[1] https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/index
[2] https://chowdera.com/2022/135/202205150625040654.html

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-16 21:21:24,"陈明雨" <mo...@163.com> 写道:

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> I searched their website and found this is a link "trademarks"[1] at the bottom of every page. Does this meet the requirements?

No as explained before it does not. Most of the answers can be found in the trademark FAQ including [1][2][3] There are further issues with pages like [4].

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#obvious
2. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#guide
3. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#attribution
4. https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/blog/webinar_220426

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi,

[1] https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/product/trademarks

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-16 15:25:20,"Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> 写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,

1. About articles of "Doris" in google search results

The articles you mentioned in your last email have been contacted to the corresponding website for deletion. However, there are indeed some articles that are not well described and do not conform to ASF specifications. I looked at these articles in general, most of them are based on revisions of some historical articles, and are NOT actively spread by starrock or the Doris team. As far as I know, since the starrock team changed its name in September last year, it has not voluntarily published any articles with branding issues.

But these articles are indeed the consequences of previous wrongdoing. Doris PPMC will also continue to promote the rectification or deletion of related articles.

2. About PMC list

First of all, I have to admit that when the name DorisDB was first used, starrocks and Doris team did not realize that the name violated Apache regulations. But after learning about it, the Doris team pushed to complete the renaming operation, and nearly 9 months have passed since that operation. Since the name change in September 2021, the Doris team, including starrocks employees, has strictly followed the Apache trademark and branding guidelines (of course there are still some oversights and omissions, but this does not represent our motivation). So I think the current PMC list is reasonable and can help the Doris project continue to develop healthily.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the update on the trademark transfer.

There are still some branding and trademark issues outstanding, a simple google search shows this. e.g. search for "Baidu Doris" or "DorisDB". For instance, this page (updated 4 days ago) [1] or this page [2] (updated 7 days ago) and others. And then we have this [3] , which from the translation the start reads like it's something from the Apache Doris project, but it encourages people to use StarRocks. [3] The (P)PMC need to be more proactive in dealing with this.

What concerns me is that the proposed PMC contains people that could have done something about these issues to stop them from happening, for instance, by not selecting DorisDB as a name in the first place or by respecting the ASF license in the StarRocks project. Do these people have the project's best interests in mind?

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://segmentfault.com/product/1890000040112964
2. https://segmentfault.com/product/1890000040112964
3. https://cdmana.com/2022/134/202205140128177660.html

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
Sorry for the late reply. First of all, I would like to explain the issues about the Doris trademark.

1. Trademark and branding issues related to Starrocks

Starrocks is a database product of a commercial company that used the name DorisDB in early 2021. After that, Doris PPMC received a notice that the name "DorisDB" was involved in trademark infringement, and began to negotiate with that commercial company. Eventually, the company officially renamed dorisdb to starrocks[1] in September 2021. At the same time, these domains[2] and codebase[3] are no longer in use.

And, I mentioned the progress of this thing in the Doris podling report in November 2021[4], which said:

> Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

> The main branding issue has been addressed(DorisDB renamed to StarRocks).

So, we believe that the branding issue with the Doris has been resolved in September 2021.

2. Questions about the transfer of the Doris trademark

The Doris trademark was originally held by Baidu, which started to transfer the trademark to ASF in January this year. At the beginning of April, Baidu inc signed the Assignment forms, PoAs and Assignment agreement sent by ASF and forwarded them to ASF's attorney in China[5]. But I don't know why Mark Thomas didn't know about the progress. We are inquiring with the asf attorney in China.

3. What is the relationship between the proposed PPMC and chair to the StarRocks project?

In Doris' Resolution, there are 22 initial PMC members. We have asked every PPMC member in the private@doris if they are willing to join Doris PMC[6]. And by default, all PPMC members agree to join. Among the 22, 4 of them work for Starrocks, and I personally, as the PMC Chair, am not an employee of starrocks.

4. License issue

This is indeed a problem, I have communicated with starrocks and will notify the progress as soon as possible. But as you said, it's not a graduation issues.

[1] https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/3zHPnPbowIj_OpMIHAobGA

[2] dorisdb.com

[3] github.com/DorisDB

[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/November2021

[5] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dx8c2969171p9z2oz21tq3tfocjt5k9d

[6] https://lists.apache.org/thread/3f5wnb2w8gp48dqh39wf17cw1jf9w6p7

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
I have already made some answers to your questions.
I would like to know what specific problems we still need to solve?

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-15 08:32:58,"Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> 写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
> I would have some concerns if these PPMC members are on the proposed PMC member list of Apache Doris. Is this the case?

As far as I'm concerned, this is no problem. Confirmation of the initial PMC membership list is jointly decided by the PPMC members.
We have solved some issues together (such as branding issues about DorisDB) in the past. So I believe we can work together to address other issues that may arise later.

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-05-14 06:32:41,"Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> 写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by ling miao <li...@apache.org>.
> About branding issue
We have tried to communicate and resolve trademark issues regarding DorisDB
and Doris [1], but it seems that there are still some residual
issues.[2][3] As Doris' PMC I will continue to actively try to address
these issues.
Could the ASF Foundation Legal Department have **more effective** support
on trademark issues?

> I've brought up the StarRocks header license issue on the legal discuss
mailing list
Looking forward to it.

> I’m curious is there any relationship between the proposed Doris PMCor
project and StarRocks?
As far as I know, few Doris PMCs have formed a new company and further
developed their Starrocks (formerly DorisDB) product based on Doris' code.

Ling Miao

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/k8klobjzffobbx161nj6plc0mfl8gc7z
[2] https://github.com/DorisDB
[3] https://www.starrocks.com/en-US/index

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2022年5月13日周五 16:11写道:

> Hi,
>
> I've brought up the StarRocks header license issue on the legal discuss
> mailing list, to see what can be done about it.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Justin

Ling Miao | Apache Doris

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

It looks like some of the previous trademark/branding issues that have been raised (around a year ago) still need to be resolved. What is the status with this?

For instance:
https://cloud-tencent-com.translate.goog/product/cdwdoris?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/doc/DORIS/index.html?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/product/palo.html?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/doc/DORIS/s/xkmeammlk?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
https://cloud-baidu-com.translate.goog/doc/DORIS/s/vkmealtfz?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
> One other issue is trademark ownership, previously it been stated that Baidu owns the Doris trademark in China. Have this trademark been transferred to the ASF?Yes, It has been transferred. We have completed the communication with Mark Thomas on the matter of trademark transfer, and have completed the relevant paperwork. The follow-up transfer process is currently being completed by a representative attorney.

> It looks like some of the previous trademark/branding issues that have been raised (around a year ago) still need to be resolved. What is the status with this?

These issues have been resolved. For [1], It has been renamed to Palo(Powered by Doris). And for [2], it has been renamed to CDW(For Doris)

[1] https://cloud.baidu.com/product/palo.html
[2] https://cloud.tencent.com/product/cdwdoris

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 2. I didn't find ASF branding issue on this site[2]. Could you help to point out?

There are several issues but in general this is not being followed [1] So in short use of trademark symbol and missing trademark disclaimer,

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#integrateswith

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Doris (Incubating) as TLP

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Justin,
Thanks for your check.
1. Looks like this repo has been deleted sometime today. So I think this is resolved.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,