Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Asankha <as...@apache.org> on 2008/11/03 13:55:19 UTC

Release plan for Synapse 1.3

Hi all

This is to let you know that I hope to work on getting Synapse 1.3 out
soon.. I also think we should cut the branch when we are quite close to
the release, to ensure that the merging back [if any] will be minimal..
Thus here is my plan of action proposed..

1. Change pom's to refer to Axis2 1.4.1 and related artifacts
2. Review all critical issues, and those marked for 1.3 release
3. Get the build stable with any changes from #2
4. Make builds available via automated Hudson builds, and get users to
help us with QA
5. Update docs and samples through #4
6. Cut final branch, release and tag

However, we have one major issue with the movement of the transports to
WC-Commons, .. with the package name conflict.. Does anyone have any
suggestions to solve this?

Please let me know your comments and agreement with the above plan, and
any changes

asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: Release plan for Synapse 1.3

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>>> Yeah we should change that! Oh yeah, um, Deepal? ;-)
>> :) , yes we have to go with the proposal we discussed. And I am sorry
>> that I do not have enough time to involve with implementation works. If
>> I get free time I would do. ;-)
>
> Hey no one asked u to write the code .. u just violently refused to
> agree to changing the package names which would've made this problem
> go away and have zero to minimal impact on axis2 users :(.
>
> If you're willing to change your mind there's still time!
As long as we keep the backward compatibility , I have no problem.
And I really do not want this to lead some other cool war ;-) , so do
whatever you all want. I mean I loose nothing by chaining the package
name or whatever  I am just a developer  , I do not use any of those
projects.

-Deepal

--
Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org

Re: Release plan for Synapse 1.3

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>> Yeah we should change that! Oh yeah, um, Deepal? ;-)
> :) , yes we have to go with the proposal we discussed. And I am sorry
> that I do not have enough time to involve with implementation works. If
> I get free time I would do. ;-)

Hey no one asked u to write the code .. u just violently refused to agree
to changing the package names which would've made this problem go away and
have zero to minimal impact on axis2 users :(.

If you're willing to change your mind there's still time!

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

Re: Release plan for Synapse 1.3

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Asankha Perera wrote:

>>> +1
>>> How about releasing transport module and then make Synapse depend on
>>> that  ? is it doable ?
>> Problem is the package name conflict! Having the same transport
>> classes in axis2 kernel and transports :-(
>
> Yeah we should change that! Oh yeah, um, Deepal? ;-)
:) , yes we have to go with the proposal we discussed. And I am sorry
that I do not have enough time to involve with implementation works. If
I get free time I would do. ;-)

Deepal

--
Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org

Re: Release plan for Synapse 1.3

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Andreas, axis2 depends on lots of stuff that we've factored out of it. I
agree that the transports are different because they are fundamental to
axis2 and they cannot be used outside of axis2. Synapse is fundamentally
based on axis2.

However, the main reason for moving them out was to allow the transports
to release and evolve outside of the core of axis2 - of course with a
dependency on the transport interfaces out of axis2.

Keeping the package name is not an issue - just that by doing that by
doing so we made it impossible to use the updated versions of the same
transports with the older axis2. And the main reason we did this is to
avoid having synapse having its own versions of axis2 transports; which is
simply a waste of effort.

Anyway, the decision was made on axis-dev and I was only poking good
natured fun at Deepal ;-) .. not trying to revisit the decision. Its not a
big deal and it'll correct itself after the next axis2 release.

Thanks,

Sanjiva.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the release plan...

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
Dynamic load balancing is based on the Axis2 trunk.

Azeez

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it should be possible to get the synapse 1.3 release based on the
> axis2 1.4.1, and we need to go for a release because there are good number
> of issues fixed on the trunk and most of the users are waiting for a stable
> release of synapse with these fixes.
>
> Thanks,
> Ruwan
>

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk
> > wrote:
>
>> Andreas Veithen wrote:
>>
>>> Why not just waiting for Axis2 1.5? Actually I'm not very optimistic
>>> that it will be easy to get Synapse and the transports working with
>>> 1.4.1 (even if we somehow manage to resolve the package name
>>> conflict). Did anybody try this out?
>>>

>> Given that the interfaces have not changed and given that Synapse has been
>> using axis2 with those transports why do you expect there will be problems??
>>
>> Sanjiva.
>> --
>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>> Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation; http://www.opensource.lk/
>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>> Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org/
>> Visiting Lecturer; University of Moratuwa; http://www.cse.mrt.ac.lk/
>>
>> Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

> Ruwan Linton
> http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
> http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com/

--
Thanks
Afkham Azeez

Blog: http://afkham.org
Developer Portal: http://www.wso2.org
WSAS Blog: http://wso2wsas.blogspot.com
Company: http://wso2.com

Re: Release plan for Synapse 1.3

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 01:42, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Andreas Veithen wrote:
>>
>> Why not just waiting for Axis2 1.5? Actually I'm not very optimistic
>> that it will be easy to get Synapse and the transports working with
>> 1.4.1 (even if we somehow manage to resolve the package name
>> conflict). Did anybody try this out?
>
> Given that the interfaces have not changed and given that Synapse has been
> using axis2 with those transports why do you expect there will be problems??

Simply because the code has evolved a quite long time with a
dependency on Axis2 trunk. When changing this back to an older version
I would expect problems (don't forget that 1.4.1 wasn't even a release
from trunk but from a branch with 1.4 as baseline). Also I'm pretty
sure there were issues in the transports that have been solved by
fixes in Axis2, though I don't remember which ones.

Andreas

Re: Release plan for Synapse 1.3

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.