Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by bo_b <bo...@staff.jubii.dk> on 2006/08/03 17:50:35 UTC

Optimize not deleting old index files?

Hello,

I am new to Solr, so far it really rocks. I just have minor problem, i
noticed that after i send an optimize query to the index, it did create some
new optimized files, but did not remove the old indexfiles.

When i open the "deletable" file in the index directory there is a long list
of files that could be deleted, but arent. I can verify in the "statistics"
section of the solr admin pages that solr indeed did get receive my optimize
command.

Any idea why they arent deleted? I am running the 7-31-2006 nightly build,
on windows using Tomcat 5.5.17.
Sent from the Solr - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Optimize not deleting old index files?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 8/3/06, bo_b <bo...@staff.jubii.dk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Solr, so far it really rocks. I just have minor problem, i
> noticed that after i send an optimize query to the index, it did create some
> new optimized files, but did not remove the old indexfiles.
>
> When i open the "deletable" file in the index directory there is a long list
> of files that could be deleted, but arent. I can verify in the "statistics"
> section of the solr admin pages that solr indeed did get receive my optimize
> command.
>
> Any idea why they arent deleted? I am running the 7-31-2006 nightly build,
> on windows using Tomcat 5.5.17.

It's a Windows thing (and a Lucene on Windows thing).  On UNIX, files
are deleted immediatly, but windows prevents this while another
process has them open.  Since they are being tracked by the
"deletable" file, lucene will eventually clean them up (after more
documents are added and more merges happen).

-Yonik