Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by PARDHU D <dp...@yahoo.in> on 2012/12/20 08:15:53 UTC

Ant Compiler

Hi to all,

I downloaded apache-ant-1.8.4-bin, apache-ant-1.8.4-manual, apache-ant-1.8.4-src all these from http://ant.apache.org . I did not find any installers in the above mentioned folders and i am using Windows XP operating system. How to install ant in my system or How can I work with ant compiler? I searched in Google and I can not find a solution for this. Can any one please send screenshots of procedure for installing ant and set path for it. Hope i can get reply.

Regards,
D Pardhu.

Re: Ant Compiler

Posted by "Scot P. Floess" <sf...@nc.rr.com>.
I typically download the zip and just unzip it.  The scripts are all
there.  I'm, of course, on a linux box and don't run Windows...

Have you downloaded the zip and tried to unzip and look in the contents of
what's unzipped?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012, PARDHU D wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I downloaded apache-ant-1.8.4-bin, apache-ant-1.8.4-manual, apache-ant-1.8.4-src all these from http://ant.apache.org . I did not find any installers in the above mentioned folders and i am using Windows XP operating system. How to install ant in my system or How can I work with ant compiler? I searched in Google and I can not find a solution for this. Can any one please send screenshots of procedure for installing ant and set path for it. Hope i can get reply.
>
> Regards,
> D Pardhu.

Scot P. Floess             RHCT  (Certificate Number 605010084735240)
Chief Architect FlossWare  http://sourceforge.net/projects/flossware
                            http://flossware.sourceforge.net
                            https://github.com/organizations/FlossWare

Re: Ant Compiler

Posted by Nik Trevallyn-Jones <ni...@babel.homelinux.net>.
Installation instructions are here:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/index.html

There is no installer that I am aware of - there really is no need for one.
In particular, Ant does not need to add anything to the Windows Registry.

Regarding your question about adding entries to your path variable -
have you tried searching on Microsoft's site to get Microsoft
documentation on how to change environment variables on a Microsoft OS?

Regardless, even though I use linux rather than Windows, I can give you
simple guidance on a couple of the many ways to do it.

option 1. add and modify the variables explicitly in your command shell.
The instructions on the Ant site here show you the commands to use:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#windows

option 2. add and modify the variables permanently in the Windows
environment.
One (of many) ways to do this is:

2.1 right-click on "My Computer", and select "Properties"
2.2 select the "Advanced" tab
2.3 click on the button to edit the environment variables. There are
only 3 buttons on the Advanced pane, and the one you are looking for is
something like "Variables", "Environment", or similar.
2.4 It doesn't really matter if you add the variables to the top pane
(the current user) or the bottom pane (System), but you will find the
existing Path variable in the bottom pane.
2.5 add a new variable called ANT_HOME, and set its value to the path of
wherever you extracted the Ant zipfile.
2.6 if you don't have a "JAVA_HOME" variable, then add one and set its
value to the path where you installed the Java JDK (usually in
"C:\Program Files" somewhere).
2.7 edit the "Path" variable, and add ";%ANT_HOME%\bin" to the end of
the value for the Path variable.
**Warning** - the value is usually selected by default, so ensure you
don't accidentally delete the existing contents of the variable by mistake.

**Note: these new setting will only work command shells created *after*
the variables have been modified - so close any existing command shells,
and open (a) new one(s).

Cheers!
Nik

Re: Ant Compiler