Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick White <pw...@fb.com> on 2017/05/05 20:51:25 UTC

Ever considered using buck to build?

Howdy! I'm Patrick from the core systems team at Facebook, and I work on ZooKeeper and ZooKeeper accessories all day long.

Proposal: I want to add BUCK files to the zookeeper source tree.

Hear me out:

TL; DR - I want to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on the matter.

At Facebook, we use buck (buckbuild.com) to build everything. Buck turns out to be a really nice build system. It's easy to set up and super fast. I love buck.

Ben put together some nice BUCK files that we use internally to build zookeeper and zkcli. Since we're already working to sync back with upstream, we'd love to get them in.

Pros:

Buck files are a lot easier to work with than maven, ant, or anything else

Buck's fast

These files do absolutely nothing for or against people who want to use maven or ant

'java_binary' generates a single executable file containing all the jars

Cons:

Not one of the "conventional" java build systems

BUCK files laying around are just trash for people not interested in them

Doesn't currently generate the typical layout of bin, conf, share, etc.

  - *currently*, it could probably be done

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: Ever considered using buck to build?

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
OK - I missed that. Thank you. Whew.

> On May 8, 2017, at 10:07 PM, Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> from patrick's response: "My intent at this point is not to replace
> anything, just to add the ability to build with buck." this isn't to
> move to a boutique build system. patrick is just suggesting that he
> can make available the build files we use inside facebook for others
> to try.
>
> ben
>
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Jordan Zimmerman
> <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
>> I beg you not to move to a boutique build system. Stay in Ant or go to Maven.
>>
>> ====================
>> Jordan Zimmerman
>>
>>> On May 8, 2017, at 9:16 PM, Patrick White <pw...@fb.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> To address some points from over the weekend:

>>> Yep. Nothing needs to change, and this doesn't impede those plans at all.

>>> Again, by no means an expert. I downloaded jenkins and set up a test project to build with buck. Seems to work?

>>> I took a first cut at this yesterday, and was able to build something that looks similar to the release tarball. There's still some layout matching to do, but it's moved from 'can it be done?' to 'just needs doing'. I'll keep chipping away at it.
>>>
>>> ________________________________

>>> Michael.

Re: Ever considered using buck to build?

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Patrick White <pw...@fb.com>.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: Ever considered using buck to build?

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.
part of the reason we haven't moved to maven (this is supposition
since i have not been involved in the decision at all) is that it
doesn't buy that much over ant. both maven and ant are complex and
slow. the one thing maven has is the repository for dependencies.

i have been using buck for a while and i really like it. you can use
the maven repos without having to use maven. the gerritt devs are also
fans: http://gerrit-talks.commondatastorage.googleapis.com/buck-rant.html#1

it hasn't reached critical mass though, so i'm not sure we want to
move exclusively to buck, but having files there for people to try
could be useful.

ben

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: Ever considered using buck to build?

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Sounds reasonable. I think we need decide how BUCK participate in various
workflows - for example does apache pre-build commit and daily build need
to build with BUCK (in addition to building with ant), or not. I assume
that's also why Camille mentioned Jenkins.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: Ever considered using buck to build?

Posted by Patrick White <pw...@fb.com>.
My intent at this point is not to replace anything, just to add the ability to build with buck. Maintaining multiple build systems is a pain for sure, but I'd wager the majority of the burden of buck maintenance would fall on Facebook since we're the primary users of it to build zookeeper at this point.

________________________________

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: Ever considered using buck to build?

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: Ever considered using buck to build?

Posted by Patrick White <pw...@fb.com>.
My bad, I'll clarify.

Posted by Camille Fournier <ca...@apache.org>.