Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alexander Henket <ah...@xs4all.nl> on 2015/11/09 06:31:59 UTC

Subversion 1.8.14 won't install on OSX

Hi,

Tried to build Subversion 1.8.14, but: there is no "configure" and all *.sh files are Windows CRLF formatted so they do not work before conversion. I do not have autogen.

Doesn't anybody distribute the latest binaries for OSX?

Regards

Alexander Henket

Re: Subversion 1.8.14 won't install on OSX

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 9, 2015, at 1:46 PM, Alexander Henket wrote:

> The log says nothing more useful than the command line already did. It *thinks* db46 whatever that may be lives in the path but it doesn't say what the exact thing is I should uninstall. There is nothing by that name anywhere directly or somewhere down that path.

The message you received is printed if the file /usr/local/include/db.h exists on your system. This file, and anything else you have installed in /usr/local, should be removed before attempting to use MacPorts. For an explanation, see:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#usrlocal

> Maybe thing got messed up after trying so many ways to do something that could have been simple. Especially MacPorts seems to be installing a zillion things that I did not really care for or wanted.

MacPorts installs the dependencies required to install the software you requested.

If you have further questions about MacPorts, please join the macports-users mailing list:

and read the MacPorts guide:

https://guide.macports.org

Re: Subversion 1.8.14 won't install on OSX

Posted by Alexander Henket <ah...@xs4all.nl>.
WANdisco was the only thing I did not try. :-)

The log says nothing more useful than the command line already did. It *thinks* db46 whatever that may be lives in the path but it doesn't say what the exact thing is I should uninstall. There is nothing by that name anywhere directly or somewhere down that path.

Maybe thing got messed up after trying so many ways to do something that could have been simple. Especially MacPorts seems to be installing a zillion things that I did not really care for or wanted.

If only the build from source thing for SVN itself would have worked...

Alexander

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 09.11.2015 19:31, Dave Huang wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2015, at 4:22, Alexander Henket <ah...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Right, that's it. I downloaded the zip variant. Don't know why it should matter, but anyway. It's working now .. sort of:
> While zip works just about everywhere these days, it has its origins in the MSDOS world, and Windows can extract zip files without any 3rd party utilities, so I think the zip variant is intended to be more convenient for Windows users.

The .zip variant is meant exactly for building on Windows. It does not
contain the Unix build scripts, and most files have CR/LF line endings
instead of just LF. Once upon a time, the Visual Studio editor didn't
know what to do with files with LF line endings.

>> Any other hints? Thanks in advance.
> What about the WANdisco package? It's for Yosemite, but it seems like it should work on El Capitan too.
>
> FWIW, MacPorts subversion 1.9.2 installed with no problems on my El Capitan system. What did /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_db46/db46/main.log have to say about the problem?

I build Subversion regularly on OSX, and I also run an automated build
box on a Mac Mini. I do use Homebrew to get a new-enough openssl, scons
(for Serf), atoconf etc. (not on the buildslave, where I build the
dependencies from scratch). The system APR, APR-Util and SQLite on El
Cap are just fine, and you do not need Berkeley DB; in fact, I'd
recommend not to build the BDB bits at all.

-- Brane

Re: Subversion 1.8.14 won't install on OSX

Posted by Dave Huang <kh...@azeotrope.org>.

Posted by Alexander Henket <ah...@xs4all.nl>.
Right, that's it. I downloaded the zip variant. Don't know why it should matter, but anyway. It's working now .. sort of:

checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string...
configure: error: failed to recognize APR_INT64_T_FMT on this platform

I tried subversion 1.9.2, but same result.

I tried Brew, but that installs 1.8.13 in a different place than my normal install (/usr/local/bin/svn)

Fink is not ready for El Capitan

MacPorts finally installed on El Capitan but subversion (sudo port install subversion) does not install because it complains db46 (??) is in /usr/local ... except that it isn't:

mbp:local ahenket$ sudo port install subversion
Password:
Warning: The Xcode Command Line Tools don't appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
Warning: Install them by running `xcode-select --install'.
--->  Computing dependencies for subversion
--->  Dependencies to be installed: apr-util db46 sqlite3 libedit curl-ca-bundle perl5 perl5.16 gdbm cyrus-sasl2 kerberos5 libcomerr pkgconfig openssl zlib python27 bzip2 db48 python2_select python_select libmagic serf1 scons
--->  Extracting db46
Error: You have a conflicting install of Berkeley DB in /usr/local, please move it aside before building db46
Error: org.macports.extract for port db46 returned: Berkeley DB in /usr/local is in the way
Error: Failed to install db46
Please see the log file for port db46 for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_db46/db46/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: apr-util db46 sqlite3 libedit curl-ca-bundle perl5 perl5.16 gdbm cyrus-sasl2 kerberos5 libcomerr pkgconfig openssl zlib python27 bzip2 db48 python2_select python_select libmagic serf1 scons
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: Processing of port subversion failed
mbp:local ahenket$ ls
Library				bin				graphviz-2.14			libexec				mysql-5.1.43-osx10.6-x86
Qt4.7				etc				include				man				pcsc
apache-tomcat-7.0.10		git				lib				mysql				share

Running out of options.

Any other hints? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alexander Henket