Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com> on 2011/05/07 08:14:01 UTC

Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1

On May 6, 2011, at 4:53 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

I understand Eli's concerns that putting stuff in there that hasn't gone
into trunk yet is danger. However, as the team makes no guarantees of 100%
compatibility between releases, I don't think it's critical. It's just
something that needs to be addressed -which can be done after this release
has shipped.

I was under the impression that the community has been extremely strict
about compatibility between minor version bumps in the past. I though there
were specific guarantees and that was one of the reasons certain behaviors
have persisted so long.

Does this mean API changes can be made in minor releases and it can be made
backward compatible in future releases? That seems very, very counter to
various conversations that have happened in the past. I'm of the mind that
we should continue to promise what we've always promised and if that's
changing, let's make with the refactoring party!

Can some PMC'ers clarify this one for me?

TIA.
Sammer

-Steve

Re: Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1

Posted by Milind Bhandarkar <mb...@linkedin.com>.
Thanks Kos. Archived mailing lists come in handy. Many thanks to Apache to
have http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/.

- milind
--
Milind Bhandarkar
mbhandarkar@linkedin.com

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Ian Holsman <ha...@holsman.net> wrote:

> On May 8, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Eric Sammer wrote:
>
>> do we permit
>> backward incompatible changes between 0.22.0 and 0.22.1 or is this
>> something we've allowed just for the 203 release?
>
> good question.
> do we allow incompatible (smallish) features to be added to a 20.x release.
> hoping that they will eventually be put into trunk at a later stage.
> and if we need a process or something around it, or will just act on good faith that it will occur.

We do allow it, as the 203 release shows. I don't think we need an
official process, our existing practice of filing a jira with the
appropriate fix version is sufficient. And this seems to be happening
already for all changes to future 20x releases.

Compatibility is just one reason it's important that features be
developed on trunk first. Security and other enhancements were
developed on 20 and forward ported to trunk. Almost two years later
the forward porting is still not complete - if we released from trunk
today, it would not support security. Ditto for append. Some people
who work on HBase consider the code in branch-20-append to be more
reliable than the code on trunk. This is the primary reason why people
are currently on 20.x releases.

People are of course free to contribute to Apache on whatever branch
they please, but I think as a development community we need to try to
make sure a future release off trunk is not a regression against
previous releases. This won't happen unless we invest in trunk. I
support a release from branch-20-security, I just wanted to see the
work go into trunk first. Ie I think the staging matters. (and I agree
with Ray wrt the version scheme but that's independent).

Fortunately, I don't think we're far off. The vast majority of
security work is in trunk (thanks to all those who did the porting),
there's probably only 50 to 100 bugs/enhancements in
branch-20-security not yet in trunk, and the append code (or rather
sync) to support HBase just needs some tests and debugging.

I agree with Eric that is is the desire to put improvements into users
hands more quickly that drives orgs to produce releases of Hadoop
outside Apache. I think the best way to address this is to get solid
releases coming off trunk on a regular basis again. Hence the push to
close out 22 and work on getting trunk in shape. Also, as a
development community, we're at our best when collaborating on trunk.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1

Posted by Ian Holsman <ha...@holsman.net>.

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On May 10, 2011, at 10:49 PM, Aaron T. Myers wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>

> By far the most significant incompatibility that I've seen from a user
> perspective is that setting hadoop.job.ugi no longer has any effect.
> Granted, this interface wasn't used by a large percentage of users,
> but
> those that were using it have no other alternative that is as
> flexible as
> this was. There was discussion about this incompatibility last
> September on
> the mailing lists[1]. The conclusion there was that supporting
> backward
> compatibility for this interface was too difficult, semantically and
> technically, to warrant support. This incompatibility is present
> whether or
> not Kerberos support is enabled on the cluster.

That I why we added the interface audience and stability classification.
 From the very beginning (see my early proposals on HADOOP-5073) the
security UGI
interfaces were targeted to be marked as limited private.
We completed the interface annotation in release 21, so some users did
not realize that they should not
be using such interfaces.

sanjay

Re: Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I can't think of any major user-facing incompatibilities other than the
> users having to run a 'kinit' when they are working with a secure Hadoop
> cluster (of course the admins need to do more work in order to set up a
> secure cluster).

By far the most significant incompatibility that I've seen from a user
perspective is that setting hadoop.job.ugi no longer has any effect.
Granted, this interface wasn't used by a large percentage of users, but
those that were using it have no other alternative that is as flexible as
this was. There was discussion about this incompatibility last September on
the mailing lists[1]. The conclusion there was that supporting backward
compatibility for this interface was too difficult, semantically and
technically, to warrant support. This incompatibility is present whether or
not Kerberos support is enabled on the cluster.

I totally agree that the pain of upgrading to 0.20 security was felt
substantially more by admins/operators than by users.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201009.mbox/%3CAANLkTiknJ_SzRux7KhjhxVfUU9FBkNgvYnkpbz3G_+a4@mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Just so that everyone is on the same page w.r.t the compatibility between
> 20.2 & 20.203 (don't think this is documented anywhere yet)..
>
> The aim of the team working on Hadoop Security at Yahoo! was to make Hadoop
> *secure*, and with *minimal* disruption to existing apps. I can't think of
> any major user-facing incompatibilities other than the users having to run a
> 'kinit' when they are working with a secure Hadoop cluster (of course the
> admins need to do more work in order to set up a secure cluster). Also,
> security can switched off, and all the other enhancements (job limits, etc.)
> are still available.. As per users/Operations/Solutions at Yahoo!,
> 20.security was one of the smoothest upgrades ever.

And I think you guys did a commendable job with this, given the scope of the
project! :)

But there were certainly plenty of bugs introduced along the way that
affected both secure and non-secure, and even now the security-able branches
don't function on any non-Sun JVM.

Again, I think for this particular case, most of the developers agreed on
the risk/reward trade-off, so I didn't want to start a discussion about
security being a good or bad decision to backport on to 0.20.

But, I'd love to know what our framework is for making such decisions in the
future, if we plan to maintain branches with feature backports as part of
Apache. (eg what scope of change requires what type of vote and when)

-Todd

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Just so that everyone is on the same page w.r.t the compatibility between 20.2 & 20.203 (don't think this is documented anywhere yet)..

The aim of the team working on Hadoop Security at Yahoo! was to make Hadoop *secure*, and with *minimal* disruption to existing apps. I can't think of any major user-facing incompatibilities other than the users having to run a 'kinit' when they are working with a secure Hadoop cluster (of course the admins need to do more work in order to set up a secure cluster). Also, security can switched off, and all the other enhancements (job limits, etc.) are still available.. As per users/Operations/Solutions at Yahoo!, 20.security was one of the smoothest upgrades ever.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.

On 5/8/11 11:10 AM, "Eric Baldeschwieler" <er...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>I'd agree with this too. [same disclaimer as milind, not on PMC]
>
>In general one would not expect to see an incompatible change added in a
>dot release (0.24.1 0.24.2).  I'd expect anything like that to require
>community discussion and support.
>
>As milind summarized, we seem to have support for the addition of
>security to 20.  The existing mechanism of the required release vote will
>confirm or deny that.
>
>I think it is important that compatible enhancements to hadoop are
>allowed into dot releases.  This is something that we've discussed but
>never finalized in the community.  It is the desire to put improvements
>into users hands more quickly that the next major release that drives
>orgs to produce private releases of hadoop.  In general, I think it is
>fair that such changes go into trunk first.  Exceptions to that also need
>discussion and support IMO.

As an observer, this is a very important observation.  Sure, the default
is that dot releases are bugfix-onl.  But exceptions to these rules are
sometimes required and often beneficial to the health of the project.
Performance enhancements, minor features, and other items are sometimes
very low risk and the barrier to getting them to users earlier should be
lower.
These issues are the sort of things that get into non-Apache releases
quickly and drive the community away from the Apache release.  Its been
well proven through those vehicles that back-porting minor features and
improvements from trunk to an old release can be done safely.

>I think the key to making progress is discussion and the idea that
>majority support, not consensus is what is needed to make exceptions to
>our process.  Process is useful, it reduces friction.  Process without
>exception is stifling.

Absolutely -- for a subset of process exceptions, a lazy majority would be
much more useful than consensus.  Others are much more dangerous
(backwards compatibility breakage)

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Milind Bhandarkar <mb...@linkedin.com>.

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.