Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2013/12/06 08:11:37 UTC

Re: Svn to Git migration

Do you know if git at Apache supports Pull Requests between branches?
I've started working like that some time ago and it's awesome feature :-)

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
+1

--
Sent from my mobile phone

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Sonar reconfigured as well!

https://analysis.apache.org/dashboard/index/9936

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Readme added, is that ok?

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2014/1/16 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>:
> The only problem is that links to the old Struts source are broken. The
> "attic" is traditionally been reserved for dead projects. We're not in that
> situation. All we need is a read-only lock.

And that's very good! See [1], without moving to attic we'd discover
that just before release or (what even worse) fast-track release. I
opt to leave the source code in attic for now, at least till we
release a new version based on Git. In other case we can miss
something because there still will be an old code where it was before.
When we stabilise the new process we can move the source code back to
old location.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Having a look at wicket, they just left svn at a point in time, keeping
> > everything in place (presumably read-only):
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/
> > While I would wish to find a prominent README here as described above, a
> > see a case for not breaking things that are not in our hand. In the
> > early days of Weld / CDI e.g., I desperately needed trunk level builds
> > that were not published yet. For that reason I did a
> > checkout-and-build-dependency step in the maven bootstrap phase of my
> > build. While this was clearly violating the reproducible build
> > principle, I could live with this trade-off since the features I needed
> > were additions unlikely to go away. To some extent reproducibility may
> > be seen as that if you would checkout some project published a few years
> > ago, it would build without some early failures before javac even kicks
> > in. I know this is a corner case, but it would suffer from repo contents
> > (from which a checkout would be done during my build) being moved away.
> >
> > Regarding Apache policies, there are a few around that might help
> > finding a decision:
> > - Apache requires us to run on our own infrastructure for a single
> > reason: provide resources that will last for ages at the same place.
> > That is why we would not want to do canonical hosting of projects
> > externally, such as on GitHub - maybe it shuts down tomorrow? Unlikely,
> > yes. On the other hand, we have seen such things happen: tr.im URL
> > shortener was popular by it's time, but then money ran out. Each mailing
> > list posting containing tr.im URL you will look up in archive render
> > useless due to the URLs cannot be resolved any more. That's why Apache
> > even promotes their own URL shortener, http://s.apache.org.
> > - Dead projects, that is projects with dead communities, go to the Attic
> > meta project, including move of svn resources. While this has more to do
> > with having a meta-PMC for keeping oversight even if the owning PMC is
> > dead, it indeed involves moving of svn resources - AFAIK the only
> > process where such move happens as a part of an Apache policy. So moving
> > something to something called "attic" makes me shout out "I'm not dead
> > yet!" spontaneously :)
> >
> > So far, I would really tend to go into read-only mode with notices
> > placed in svn rather than to move things away. If there are good
> > arguments for the move I have missed so far, I would of course happily
> > switch my position on that topic.
> >
> > Just my 0.02$
> > - René

> move
> >>
> >> Ok, what is wrong if they become invalid? Maybe people start thinking
> >> about migration :-)

> stop
> >>
> >> I don't know how it is in English - when child is born, connection
> >> with mother is cut :-) The same here, at some point we must strictly
> >> say - sorry guys!
> >>
> >> It was mentioned as a good practise from other projects which migrated

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Rene Gielen <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>wrote:

> We suppose to cut off the wire - as moving the repos showed that we
> still have a problem with DTDs. And published POMs shouldn't be a
> problem, there are links in ciManagement section only or do I miss
> something?
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
>
> 2014/1/14 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>:
> > No, please don't move things to the attic. We published POMs and other
> > links to the repository. We should just make it read-only.
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Johannes Geppert <jo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Looks good to me!
> >>
> >> Thanks Łukasz for taking care of this migration.
> >>
> >> Johannes
> >>
> >> #################################################
> >> web: http://www.jgeppert.com
> >> twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep

> anymore!

> site
> >> takes
> mirror

> between

> >> awesome

> >> you

> between
> fork
> >> the
> >> comment,
> mater/develop.

> related

> same:

> dev-help@struts.apache.org

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Paul

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
No, please don't move things to the attic. We published POMs and other
links to the repository. We should just make it read-only.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Johannes Geppert <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks good to me!
>
> Thanks Łukasz for taking care of this migration.
>
> Johannes

> web: http://www.jgeppert.com
> twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep
>

> 2014/1/14 Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>
>
> > Guys,
> > can you review cleanup I have performed?
> >
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/attic/
> >
> > what else I should move to attic as well
> >

> > Regards
> > --
> > Łukasz
> > + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
> >
> > 2014/1/14 Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>:
> > > I think it isn't needed. I'm going to move everything to 'attic'
> > > folder to be backed up and create README about migration

> takes

> awesome

> you

> the
> comment,

> > to git

> > feature.

> > http://stackoverflow.com/users/438992/dave-newton>

Cheers,
Paul

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me!

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Guys,

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Time to move forward

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Svn to Git migration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 6 Dec 2013, at 8:11, Lukasz Lenart wrote:

> Do you know if git at Apache supports Pull Requests between branches?
> I've started working like that some time ago and it's awesome feature
> :-)

Honestly I don't know :-)

I mean you can merge between branches easily. Is that what you mean?

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
>
> 2013/10/16 Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>:
>> On 16 Oct 2013, at 10:50, Lukasz Lenart wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know, SvnPubSub doesn't support Git right now. So we can
>>> migrate struts2/trunk to Git but the rest must stay as is. And if we
>>> plan to migrate/create new user guide, it will be hosted via
>>> Subversion. Any doubts?
>>

>> +1
>>

>>> Regards
>>> --