Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/02/04 21:39:06 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Hadoop branch-1.2

Hi,
this weekend I propose to create a branch-1.2 from current branch-1, and
create a first release candidate.  There's a ton of new stuff since 1.1,
and it will probably need stabilization, but that is best done in the
context of a release candidate.

Any objections?  Any must-have items for 1.2 that can't be in by then?
 (There's always 1.3... :-)

Thanks,
--Matt

Re: [PROPOSAL] Hadoop branch-1.2

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 10 March 2013 18:32, Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Steve, is there a timeline all these changes will be ready? If it is not
> going to be
> ready soon, perhaps these changes could be consider for 1.3?
>
> Suresh, I've put everything into
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9258 - the tests and the
patches for S3 and S3N.

Data loss is only going to happen if you go rename(srcDir, srcDir) or
rename(srcDir,srcDir/child); nobody has ever reported it. We have to decide
whether this is critical enough to get in, or postpone to 1.3. Given this
is a last minute change and the changes to the S3FileSystem's rename()
operation are significant, delaying to 1.3 may actually be safer.

your choice

-steve

Re: [PROPOSAL] Hadoop branch-1.2

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
let me do one quick merge of the current S3 one, if there's a problem pull
tomW in and try to get this closed off. As it risks data I care about it

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Steve, I'm okay with this, but

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.