Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jamie Andrews <ja...@linuxufo.com> on 2006/03/11 16:22:15 UTC

trouble starting james as a win2k / win2k3 service

I have installed james-2.2.0 on 4 different machines.  3 of them are
server hosts, and one is my personal laptop.  On the 3 server hosts,
james will run from the run.bat file and the service will install.
However on these hosts attempting to start the james service an error
message:

The service is not responding to the control function

Nothing is logged in the wrapper.log when service start requests are
made.
james does run normally as a service on my laptop
The servers are either win2003 sp1 or win2000 sp4

Any comments or pointers appreciated.

Thanks
--
Jamie Andrews

Bayesian filter

Posted by "nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com>.
thanks vincezo..

i understand now...
those bayesian entries is in 'comment' line..then as u said..i've to unccoment the ralated 'bayesian' entries in config.xml.. << i understand this

but...how to set up database?any reference?how does james connect to database?i really need to know...i can't training spam because don't know how to create database...before this..i interested to your 'james.praxis.it' those contain database i guess..but you said u move it into svn trunk..so from now..how to create a database in this case?any reference?

thanks,
nurularesya

>Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini wrote:
>What do you mean by "the phase code is in 'comment' phase"?

>Anyhow, you need to uncomment the related "bayesian" entries in
>config.xml, set up a database, prepare a entry in config.xml accordingly, start James >and begin training.

>Have also a look at http://wiki.apache.org/james/Bayesian_Analysis.

>Beware, the sqlResources.xml entries are set (and tested) for db="mssql"
>and db="mysql". If you use another DBMS you should add the appropriate
>"create table" entries.

>Vincenzo

>nurularesya ;p wrote:

>i'm using 2.3.0 version..but how bayesian filter work on that version?the phase code is in 'comment' phase..so how does bayesian filter will work in james 2.3.0 version?
>
>-nurularesya-
>

>>Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini wrote:
>>No, sorry. It requires 2.3.x.
>>

>>Vincenzo
>>

>>Andrew Sykes wrote:
>>

>>We're currently using 2.2.0, does the bayesian filter work with this?

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Travel
Find great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail

---------------------------------

Bayesian filter

Posted by "nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com>.

"nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com> wrote:  thanks vincezo..

Re: Bayesian filter

Posted by "nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com>.
thanks vincezo..

Re: Bayesian filter

Posted by "nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com>.
thanks vincezo..

Re: Bayesian filter

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
What do you mean by "the phase code is in 'comment' phase"?

Anyhow, you need to uncomment the related "bayesian" entries in
config.xml, set up a database, prepare a <data-source name="maildb"...

Re: Bayesian filter

Posted by "nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Bayesian filter

Posted by "nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com>.

"nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com> wrote:i'm  using 2.3.0 version..but how bayesian filter work on that version?the  phase code is in 'comment' phase..so how does bayesian filter will work  in james 2.3.0 version?

Re: Bayesian filter

Posted by "nurularesya ;p" <nu...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Bayesian filter

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
No, sorry. It requires 2.3.x.

Vincenzo

Bayesian filter

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
We're currently using 2.2.0, does the bayesian filter work with this?
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: Emails getting sent multiple times (apparently under heavy load)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
You should be able to confirm that the problem is the mail being
received multiple times looking at the smtpserver logs.

You should also find exceptions thrown from the the smtpserver while
accepting new messages.

Can you post a few "duplicate" mail headers (se that we can confirm your
ideas) and look in the logs for any exceptions?

1000 messages per hour is not a big deal for james.

Have you ever personally experienced the "resend" behaviour from your
email client?

The db pool running out of connections could be for sure a contributing
factor. The SMTP protocol ensure that a message is delivered at least once.

You could try to fine-tune your db pool configuration. You could
increase the "max" number of connections or increase the "max_wait" time
it waits for a connection to be returned before failing.
----- e.g:
<max_wait>60000</max_wait>
<max_idle>5</max_idle>
<max>20</max>
-----

Server connections + Spool threads + Delivery threads all need db
connections so you should tune your db pool size starting from that numbers.

Stefano

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
If it is happening as frequently as you indicate, you can turn on debug for
the SMTP protocol handler, and log (massively) all of the protocol
operations.  See if connections are being terminated prior to the protocol
acknowledgement.

> If one of you experts needs more info and has a few hours to look at
> this, we'll pay the going rate.

I have time this week, but let's see it comes to that.

	--- Noel

Emails getting sent multiple times (apparently under heavy load)

Posted by Nathan Cheng <na...@yahoo.com>.
We have recently started having a problem where emails are being
sent/received multiple times--anywhere from 2 to 50. This is a huge
problem for us because a lot of these emails are going as text
messages to phones and it's driving people crazy. We have been running
James for over 3 years now and this is the first time this has happened.

We are using JAMES SMTP Server 2.2.0 and have been since it was
released a while ago.

Judging from the email headers, when any sending SMTP client--user or
server--attaches to our James SMTP server to pass along an email, it
will think it didn't get through the first time, and send it again a
few seconds or a few minutes later. This cycle usually happens more
than twice, and like I said occasionally up to 50 times. What could
James be doing that would make SMTP clients think that James didn't
get the message when in fact James did get the message?

The only thing that has changed with our James installation is
increased usage and a huge increase in Spam (our deadletter sometimes
grows 1 or 2 rows per second, and generally average over 1000 per hour).

I have noticed the db connection pool occasionally running out of
connections. Could this be a contributing factor?

If one of you experts needs more info and has a few hours to look at
this, we'll pay the going rate.

Thanks,

Nathan

Re: trouble starting james as a win2k / win2k3 service

Posted by Jamie Andrews <ja...@linuxufo.com>.
On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:09:41AM +0000, Jamie Andrews wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 04:47:37PM +0100, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> > Jamie Andrews wrote:
> > >I have installed james-2.2.0 on 4 different machines.  3 of them are
> > >server hosts, and one is my personal laptop.  On the 3 server hosts,
> > >james will run from the run.bat file and the service will install.
> > >However on these hosts attempting to start the james service an error
> > >message:
> > >
> > >The service is not responding to the control function
> >
> > Not sure but:
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=The+service+is+not+responding+to+the
> >
> > Feeling lucky brings me to:

> > Check it out...
>
> Stefano, thanks for the suggestions
>
> I looked at these pages, but they seem to refer to the MS Windows task
> scheduler specifically.  I am not sure how applicable they are to other
> services, such as James.

I've solved my own problem

The error message gives no clue to this but when I altered the user
in the services properties dialog to be "Administrator" instead of the
default the service started starting

I hope this is useful to others
Thanks
--
Jamie

Re: trouble starting james as a win2k / win2k3 service

Posted by Jamie Andrews <ja...@linuxufo.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.