Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Kiryl Valkovich <ki...@teal.tools> on 2023/02/15 17:11:09 UTC

Force redirect questions from Slack to GitHub Discussions or StackOverflow?

Hi everyone! Enrico Olivelli asked me to repost it to the mailing list.

--- Me
I’m very worried that good answers from David Kjerrumgaard and others won’t be googleable because it’s in Slack. To make any search you need to pay a monthly subscription.

In my opinion, it would be wiser to make StackOverflow, Discuss, or GitHub discussions a place for questions. And strictly redirect people who ask any question in Slack to the right place.
In GitHub discussions, you also can manage categories, as well as you can manage channels in Slack.

The most important that it’s searchable.

Examples:
https://github.com/community/community/discussions
https://github.com/apache/superset/discussions

--- Later me to David Kjerrumgaard
What do you think about the following workflow:
1. The user asks a new question in Slack.
2. You click the three dots button on his message -> “Convert to a GitHub discussion”.
3. The bot creates a new GitHub discussion in the “Q&A” category with the original message’s content.
4. The bot converts the original message to a thread and posts a message like:
> In order to keep history and make your question searchable by other Apache Pulsar users, it has been converted to a GitHub discussion.
> Further conversation is available by this link: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/discussions/18766.
5. You answer the question on GitHub.

How it may work: https://api.slack.com/best-practices/blueprints/actions-and-dialogs
I can try to implement it makes any sense for you. (edited)

Full original thread: https://apache-pulsar.slack.com/archives/C5Z4T36F7/p1676449603034309

Re: Force redirect questions from Slack to GitHub Discussions or StackOverflow?

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
No Kiryl, I meant the bot will message the user saying - "This message (It
opens a thread) looks like a question. You can use the bot to post this
question to GitHub for you. Just click the three dots, and choose `Post to
GitHub Discussion`"

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kiryl Valkovich <ki...@teal.tools>.

From: Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 11:54 AM
To: dev@pulsar.apache.org <de...@pulsar.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Force redirect questions from Slack to GitHub Discussions or StackOverflow?

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.

From: Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>
Date: Friday, February 17, 2023 at 9:28 PM
To: dev@pulsar.apache.org <de...@pulsar.apache.org>

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

From: Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, February 17, 2023 at 3:43 PM
To: dev@pulsar.apache.org <de...@pulsar.apache.org>

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

From: Kiryl Valkovich <ki...@teal.tools>
Date: Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 1:33 PM
To: dev@pulsar.apache.org <de...@pulsar.apache.org>

From: Zike Yang <zi...@apache.org>
Date: Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 11:41 AM
To: dev@pulsar.apache.org <de...@pulsar.apache.org>
+1, That sounds great to me.

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
+1
Funny thing is that I was thinking just this morning that Slack's biggest
downside is that it is not searchable, hence although you get that personal
touch by instant messaging people, and the answers can be quicker, the
unsearchable is a big issue.

Posted by Kiryl Valkovich <ki...@teal.tools>.

From: Zike Yang <zi...@apache.org>
Date: Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 11:41 AM