Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/08/10 02:16:26 UTC

[RT] two wild thoughts

Wild Thought #1
---------------

I'm sick of the whole "open source java" thing going nowhere. I think
Gump is in the position to help.

We now have Mono installed on Brutus. We just need to download the
ikvm[1] and try to run our java tools on top of a "virtual" java virtual
machine running on top of Mono.

Speed is not a real issue here, but it might identify problems with the
GNU Classpath problem and create "development hotspots" that might help
the GNU Classpath people to find out where they need to focus their
development attention.

[1] http://www.ikvm.net/

Wild Thought #2
---------------

Gump and Maven have project matadata descriptors that are in XML. I
strongly believe it would be way better to have them in RDF, but I know
this scares people away.

But now there is DOAP [2] which is pretty cool and might allow me to
work on gump for my day job.

I'm going to experiment with that.

[2] http://usefulinc.com/doap/

--
Stefano.

RDF/DOAP (Re: [RT] two wild thoughts)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> Gump and Maven have project matadata descriptors that are in XML. I strongly
> believe it would be way better to have them in RDF, but I know this scares
> people away.
>
> But now there is DOAP [2] which is pretty cool and might allow me to work on
> gump for my day job.
>
> I'm going to experiment with that.
>
> [2] http://usefulinc.com/doap/

I am intruiged by RDF. (I have a soft spot in my techie heart for Prolog, and I sense that RDF could get there also for the same.) I suspect that (like Python) others have the same intruige. I've always found the best way to explore something I'm curious about is to dabble with it, to tinker implementing something. I'd enjoy seeing that done here.

I also think that if a 'stadard' (defacto or otherwise) for proejct metadata could evolve, Gump ought be trying to use it. I like the fact that RDF ought be declarative metadata. Perhaps Gump could extend outside of it's curent realm, and reach more projects.

If we could mount a sustained effort to define who we'd like to use RDF/DOAP, I am definately game to help wire new developments into Gump.

regards

Adam

Re: [RT] two wild thoughts

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 12 Aug 2004, at 15:59, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip>

> one thing I would love to do is to have gump bootstrap kaffe, jikes
> and then bootstrap GNU classpath and then the apache stuff.
>
> it would be very sweet.

+1

this has been on my mind for a while now (ever since the apache
distribution controversy). if gump could indicate which of the apache
java stuff will run under kaffe we could probably push towards having
more included with the debian main distribution.

> would you guys be interested in helping out?

interested but (being realistic) i'm not sure whether i'll find the
time any time soon...

- robert

Re: [RT] two wild thoughts

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano <at> apache.org> writes:

> one thing I would love to do is to have gump bootstrap kaffe, jikes and
> then bootstrap GNU classpath and then the apache stuff.
>
> it would be very sweet.
>
> would you guys be interested in helping out?

Sure :)

I've asked Jim Pick to post to this thread with his GUMP/Kaffe experiences.

cheers,
dalibor topic

Re: [RT] two wild thoughts

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [RT] two wild thoughts

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.

Re: [RT] two wild thoughts

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Wild Thought #1
>
> We now have Mono installed on Brutus.

The Ant tests show that it doesn't work very well, in particular it
fails on stuff that works perfectly well in my installations.  So
maybe Debian's Mono package really isn't ready for prime time, yet.

> We just need to download the ikvm[1] and try to run our java tools
> on top of a "virtual" java virtual machine running on top of Mono.

+1 once Mono really works on Brutus.

> Wild Thought #2
> ---------------
>
> Gump and Maven have project matadata descriptors that are in XML. I
> strongly believe it would be way better to have them in RDF, but I
> know this scares people away.

It doesn't really scare me away, I simply don't know enough about it
to form any opinion.

Stefan

Re: [RT] two wild thoughts

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 10 August 2004 08:16, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm sick of the whole "open source java" thing going nowhere.

This was really a wild opinion!
Would you care to elaborate?

> Wild Thought #2
> ---------------
>
> Gump and Maven have project matadata descriptors that are in XML. I
> strongly believe it would be way better to have them in RDF, but I know
> this scares people away.

_I_ am completely sold on the RDF idea, and I agree about the 'scares people'.
I think I have identified 2 of the reasons (there are of course others) why it
does;

1) Existing RDF vocabularies sets out to solve fairly ambitious problems,
ontologies being the most visible, and that RDF so far has been used where
nothing else can cut it.

2) As a beginner in the subject, you don't understand the triples concept, and
quickly turn to the xml serialization of triples, and those end up looking
fairly nasty, especially when auto generated by higher level tools.

So, we need some simpler showcases of how easy this really can be, and try to
not expose anyone to the xml format.

Just my 0.076 ringgit worth.

Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: [RT] two wild thoughts

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
>I'm sick of the whole "open source java" thing going nowhere. I think
> Gump is in the position to help

+1.

This is no.1 on my personal itches to scratch at this point.

I've requested the gump team for an installation of IKVM once mono is
successfully installed.

I've been trying to get POI to pass all testcases in IKVM (compilation
is not a problem) ... some results are in the POI list archives, but
i'll write it up on the site soon. Long term plan is  to include IKVM
based builds and tests for POI into gump. It will also be useful to
release IKVM compiled artifacts for further testing.