Posted to general@attic.apache.org by PJ Fanning <fa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/02/26 20:07:49 UTC

new PMC for xmlbeans

Hi,There is general interest in the Apache POI PMC and general Contributor community in forming a new PMC for Apache XMLBeans. POI has a dependency on XMLBeans and there are some fixes that we would like to apply to XMLBeans.Some of the discussion appears in these threads.
http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/publishing-poi-xmlbeans-jars-td5730234.html
POI - Dev - [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans
POI - Dev - XMLBeans in 4.0.0 release
If we can get 3 or more people to form a new XMLBeans PMC, would it be feasible to reopen the XMLBeans svn for new commits?
Regards,PJ

Re: new PMC for xmlbeans

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018, at 12:09 PM, jani@apache.org wrote:
> Hi
>
> > On 26 Feb 2018, at 21:07, PJ Fanning <fa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,There is general interest in the Apache POI PMC and general Contributor community in forming a new PMC for Apache XMLBeans. POI has a dependency on XMLBeans and there are some fixes that we would like to apply to XMLBeans.Some of the discussion appears in these threads.
> > http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/publishing-poi-xmlbeans-jars-td5730234.html
> > POI - Dev - [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans
> > POI - Dev - XMLBeans in 4.0.0 release
> > If we can get 3 or more people to form a new XMLBeans PMC, would it be feasible to reopen the XMLBeans svn for new commits?
>
> As far as I have understood (others with more knowledge, might want to
> confirm or correct me), a project cannot “just” be activated again.
>
> What you can do easily is one of two possibilities:
> - Clone the project to a new project, which then have its own life. If
> you want to do this within ASF, you need to follow the rules for
> creating a new TLP.
> - Copy the project into POI (keep it as a separate directory etc). This
> can be done without any paperwork at all, you just need to put a short
> text in the release notes of POI. The advantage here is you can change
> whatever you want, the disadvantage (if that is a disadvantage) is that
> you cannot make a XMLBeans release.
>
> I recommend simply copy the source files into POI.

Yes, I would say that even if a project were to be resuscitated with the same name, if it is a new team, it is a new community, and therefore the rules covering a new TLP would apply - requiring some justification as to why should the ASF consider this particular team to be ready to run a project.

Unless XMLBeans is needed for more than POI, I would go with Jan's second suggestion - just import the code and get on with life :-)

Upayavira

Re: new PMC for xmlbeans

Posted by ja...@apache.org.
Hi

> On 26 Feb 2018, at 21:07, PJ Fanning <fa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi,There is general interest in the Apache POI PMC and general Contributor community in forming a new PMC for Apache XMLBeans. POI has a dependency on XMLBeans and there are some fixes that we would like to apply to XMLBeans.Some of the discussion appears in these threads.
> http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/publishing-poi-xmlbeans-jars-td5730234.html
> POI - Dev - [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans
> POI - Dev - XMLBeans in 4.0.0 release
> If we can get 3 or more people to form a new XMLBeans PMC, would it be feasible to reopen the XMLBeans svn for new commits?

As far as I have understood (others with more knowledge, might want to confirm or correct me), a project cannot “just” be activated again.

What you can do easily is one of two possibilities:
- Clone the project to a new project, which then have its own life. If you want to do this within ASF, you need to follow the rules for creating a new TLP.
- Copy the project into POI (keep it as a separate directory etc). This can be done without any paperwork at all, you just need to put a short text in the release notes of POI. The advantage here is you can change whatever you want, the disadvantage (if that is a disadvantage) is that you cannot make a XMLBeans release.

I recommend simply copy the source files into POI.

rgds
Jan I.

Re: new PMC for xmlbeans

Posted by Mark Murphy <jm...@gmail.com>.
According to Maven Central, there are 495 artifacts with dependencies on
XMLBeans. Many of the projects have last update dates in the last year.
This is compared with Apache POI which is used by 795 artifacts. It seems
usage of XMLBeans is still significant.

Re: new PMC for xmlbeans

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Re: new PMC for xmlbeans