Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Rico Bärisch <ri...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/21 19:45:23 UTC

ESP-scripting support for IDE

Hey,

I am a newbie in Sling development :)

I decided to develop my scripts in ESP(ECMAScript Pages)...and my favorite
IDE is Eclipse.

Because Eclipse don't know anything about *.esp-files by default I can't
use features like code completion or syntax highlighting.

Because developing without such features is very boring I want to ask if
there are any plugins or configurations for Eclipse (or maybe some other
editor) to support ESP-scripting? ...or have you some other nice practices
for ESP-scripting?

Rico

Re: ESP-scripting support for IDE

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Rico,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Rico Bärisch
<ri...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...I decided to develop my scripts in ESP(ECMAScript Pages)...

Good choice, I also prefer ESP to JSP for example amongst our
supported scripting languages.

> ...I want to ask if
> there are any plugins or configurations for Eclipse (or maybe some other
> editor) to support ESP-scripting? ...

I haven't used any myself, but ESP is just ECMASCript, so any
javascript-aware editor should work. Let us know if you find
something!

I did experiment with the Rhino javascript debugger a while ago, that
might also be worth another investigation, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-193

-Bertrand

Re: ESP-scripting support for IDE

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Am 21.05.2012 um 19:45 schrieb Rico Bärisch:

> Hey,
>
> I am a newbie in Sling development :)

Welcome !

> I decided to develop my scripts in ESP(ECMAScript Pages)...and my favorite
> IDE is Eclipse.
>
> Because Eclipse don't know anything about *.esp-files by default I can't
> use features like code completion or syntax highlighting.
>
> Because developing without such features is very boring I want to ask if
> there are any plugins or configurations for Eclipse (or maybe some other
> editor) to support ESP-scripting? ...or have you some other nice practices
> for ESP-scripting?

In the very beginning I quickly looked into it but lost track because we didn't use ESP that much any more at that time.

It would be great to have an Eclipse Editor Plugin supporting ESP notation, but I personally don't know of any.

Maybe one could be built after the JSP editors of the Web Tooling Project.

Contributions welcome ;-)

Regards
Felix