Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2023/02/13 15:21:44 UTC

[VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.3.0 RC 1

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
source build - OK
tested eclipse plugins with uima 3.4.1 rc - OK
checked sig/hash - OK
spot checked notes/license - OK

[x] +1 OK to release

Peter

Am 13.02.2023 um 16:21 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> Hi,
>
> the Apache UIMA Ruta 3.3.0 RC 1 has been staged.
>
> This is a feature and bugfix release.
>
> * ⭐️ Issue #100: Enable type system discovery via SPI in OSGI
> * ⭐️ Issue #102: RutaResourceLoader should consider TCCL
> * ⭐️ Issue #107: Enable loading uimaFIT annotators and other classes
> through the TCCL
> * ⭐️ Issue #111: Support copy/paste clipboard for feature values in
> annotation browser view
> * 🦟 Issue #110: Usage of labels within macro action definition is broken
> * ⚙️ Issue #118: Merge type system modules into core module
> * ⚙️ Issue #122: Resolve split package between ruta-core and ruta-core-ext
> * 🩹 Issue #104: Upgrade dependencies
>

> Issues: https://github.com/apache/uima-ruta/issues?q=milestone%3A3.3.0
> Dist. artifacts:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/ruta-3.3.0-RC-202302131513-1df286f/
> Eclipse Update Site:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/ruta-3.3.0-RC-202302131513-1df286f/eclipse-update-site/
> Maven staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1294
> GitHub tag: https://github.com/apache/uima-ruta/tree/ruta-3.3.0
> Git commit:          1df286fd243014aa76108b3e8c97b09ce934b89d
>
> Please vote on release:
>
> [ ] +1 OK to release
> [ ] 0   Don't care
> [ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Richard
>  --
Dr. Peter Klügl
Head of Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH
Salzstr. 15
79098 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 761 708 394 0
Fax: +49 761 708 394 10
Email: peter.kluegl@averbis.com
Web: https://averbis.com

Headquarters: Freiburg im Breisgau

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Towards a new UIMA website

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
> On 8. Mar 2024, at 08:20, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I realized it was Ruby because I was reading it's migration documents and
> for that they need custom Ruby setup (and they don't support velocity).

I use Asciidoc quite a bit, so I always wanted to have a go at https://antora.org/
... but I never really found good access to it.

In terms of popularity, Markdown seems to be still the most prominent and
https://docusaurus.io/ seems to be hip in that area.

Not sure if either of those is really well suited for actual website building
as opposed to building just static documentation pages.

What I liked about Jekyll is that it is possible to work with structured data
(e.g. YAML files containing release information) and to iterate over such things,
sort it, filter it, e.g. to show the last release on a site. Also, it allows
iterating over folder strucutures, e.g. I can drop a new "use case" in to a "use-cases"
folder and set the system up such that this is automatically scanned and added
into the site. Jekyll uses the Liquid templating language which is quite flexible
(at least for the purposes I encountered so far) and concise.

I've also played around a bit with Jinja (but not related to websites). With respect
to popularity, that also seems to me quite interesting. It is concise and quite
readable - similar to Liquid. Jinja seems to come from Django, but I don't know
a prominent static site generator that's using it.

XML-based stuff like Velocity seems to be a turn-off these days. While I have
years of experience with XML I have to admit that I also have started to like
JSON and YAML more and prefer Markdown languages and non-XML templating when
possible.

-- Richard

Re: Towards a new UIMA website

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.
Fair points. And I see you use it for your other projects.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
I don't know any ruby either - but I also never had to use any ruby when
dealing with Jekyll. Just like I never had to use any Java when dealing
with the current velocity site.

Being mainly a Java developer, I also have a preference towards a Java-based
system, but I also see benefit in using a widely used, well-known, and stable
system as opposed to something more obscure that might or might not be maintained
and updated, that fewer people know and that I find less examples of on the web.

After all, we just want to have a website and not develop a site builder tool.

-- Richard

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.
I put together a pull request for some minor cosmetic changes. If anybody
wants to review it, otherwise I'll merge it on Monday.

Towards a new UIMA website

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Pablo

> On 6. Mar 2024, at 02:31, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wanted to add an issue in the GitHub website about this discussion and
> make a PR for it but the project is not configured with an issue tracker.
> Can you change that or does it need to go through infra?

You can doing by self-service by placing a `.asf.yaml` file into the repository:

  https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-asfyaml?tab=readme-ov-file#repository-features

See e.g. the one in the Java SDK:

  https://github.com/apache/uima-uimaj/blob/main/.asf.yaml

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website (was Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1)

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

This is all very good and makes sense. Using git-svn I imported the current
site into the GitHub project. (That took a long time.)

The commands I used were:

git clone git@github.com:apache/uima-site.git
cd uima-site/
git checkout main
git svn init https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/site/trunk/uima-website
git svn fetch

(the archive/ branch on SVN is copied, it didn't seem useful as such.)

This way we can make changes as PRs on that project and discuss them
through the GitHub interface.

And keep branches for new redesigns.

Jekyll sounds fine and the other projects to look for inspiration sounds
fine too. I'll study them together with the Apache template.

Best regards,

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Pablo,

> On 8. Feb 2024, at 13:18, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been thinking it'd be nice to refresh the website a bit. Maybe even
> have some sections generated with a more modern tool, lile Hugo.

We should probably switch entirely to a more modern static site generator.
My thoughts on this were in the direction of copying the side of another
Apache project that has a nice site and building on that ;)

Based on my bubble of interest, I would have looked at one of these as a
starting point.

- https://opennlp.apache.org/
- https://wicket.apache.org/
- https://solr.apache.org/

As an additional consideration, I was hoping not having to use an entirely
new technology but one that may be familiar or at least peak popular such
that there are ample howtos and many people would know how to deal with it.

Again, based on my bubble, I would have considered

- jekyll
- antora
- docusaurus

> If that's something that interests the project, I can do some trials and
> share them, then we can decide. I understand the URLs in the current
> website are linked from multiple places and it is key to keep them as-is.

You are right, it is probably a good idea to ensure that certain key URLs remain the same - possibly using redirects. I don't think all URLs need to remain stable. It would be good though if a page not found would have a sensible error page.

Btw. we already have an (empty) repo for a new website here:

  https://github.com/apache/uima-site

Cheers,

-- Richard

Website (was Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1)

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
> On 6. Feb 2024, at 10:14, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For building I had to define ~/.m2/toolchains.xml, you might want to add a
> message to the README.md as I had a hard time understanding the "toolchain"
> was missing, not the JDK itself.

It's not advertised anywhere yet I think, but we do have a documentation that
actually talks about the toolchain:

https://nightlies.apache.org/uima/draft-guides/maint.html#_maven_toolchains

Eventually, the UIMA website should link to that guide - and all the stuff
regarding releases, developer setup, etc. that we currently have on the
website should be dropped in favor of the maintainers guide.

Feel free to update the website ;)

Otherwise, I'll (eventually) do that.

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.
- checked hashes OK
- files decompression OK
- builds from source on Debian Testing with OpenJDK 17: OK

For building I had to define ~/.m2/toolchains.xml, you might want to add a
message to the README.md as I had a hard time understanding the "toolchain"
was missing, not the JDK itself.

Also the latest available system maven is too old to build it, I had to
install a newer maven from Apache.

[x] +1 OK to release

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Posted by Viorel Morari <vi...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
 Hi,

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
+1 from me as well.

I did my checks as part of the release process.

-- Richard

[RESULT][VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
build source - OK
checked sig/hash - OK
tested update site in eclipse (including bugfix) - OK

[x] +1 OK to release

Peter

[VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 2

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
built source - OK
checked sig/hashes - OK
checked readme/license/notes - OK
tested ruta workbench (with query view) in eclipse 9/22 - OK

[x] +1 OK to release

Peter

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 2

Posted by Viorel Morari <vi...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
 Hi,

- checked sigs and hashes: *OK*
- built from sources on Java 21: *OK*
- spot check issues fixed report: *OK*

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 2

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
The vote passes with 3 binding +1 votes:

- Peter Klügl
- Viorel Morari
- Richard Eckart de Castilho

No further votes received.

Thank you all for voting!

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 2

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

[VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 2

[RESULT][VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Viorel Morari <vi...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
 Hi,

- checked sigs and hashes: *OK*
- built from sources on Java 18: *OK*
- spot check issues fixed report: *OK*
- spot check LICENSE/NOTICE/README: *OK*
- installed and tested in Eclipse 2022-06: *OK*

[x] +1 OK to release

Best,
Viorel

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 4:22 PM Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
built source - OK
check sig/hashes - OK
checked readme/license/notes - OK
tested ruta workbench in eclipse 9/22 - OK

[x] +1 OK to release

Peter

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 1

Posted by Viorel Morari <vi...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
 Hi,

[CANCEL][VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Vote cancelled due to issues found.

Will prepare a new RC.

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com.INVALID>.
[x] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

There could be a problem with the Ruta Query view. We need to investage the problem ...

[VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.0 RC 1