Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/15 05:37:06 UTC

Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Hi Gui,

I have been working with PsychoPath's document and source code for a
while,  PsychoPath does not support enough user interface for Xalan to get
all the necessary things such as get XPath syntax tree.

But merging Xalan and PsychoPath and use PsychoPath as our  org.apache.xpath
package replacing solution for Xalan is  feasible, It will save much time
for us
In fact, i have done some experiment merging job

Regards

Victor Wang

Re: Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Posted by Jesper Steen Møller <je...@selskabet.org>.
Hi Victor

On 15/06/2011, at 05.37, Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been working with PsychoPath's document and source code for a while,  PsychoPath does not support enough user interface for Xalan to get
> all the necessary things such as get XPath syntax tree.

Indeed you can get at the PsychoPath abstract syntax tree! It's put into an internal package, but it is exported and you can define a visitor against it.

 -Jesper

Re: Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Posted by ke...@us.ibm.com.
Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote on 06/27/2011 12:44:36
AM:
> If the intention is to contribute the code to Xalan, in my opinion
> it would be better for the effort to be here. Folks interested in
> contributing can become committers.

+1000. It isn't hard to work with the Apache development environment, and
doing so preserves a lot of history/knowledge about what's been done in
the past and what still needs to be done. And, frankly, the odds of
getting a sufficient base of people to maintain it going forward aren't as
good if the actual development occurs elsewhere. That's a large part of
how we got into this situation: IBM was sponsoring most of the development
effort (Sun came in long enough to contribute the compiler framework, then
dropped out again), most folks sat back and let that happen, and when the
IBMers moved to other tasks there weren't enough active volunteers to keep
it moving forward.

Xalan needs ongoing participation to occur here, in the Xalan community,
if Xalan per se is to remain viable. We might want a separate development
tree for the 2.0 effort, since that's a fairly drastic rewrite... but I
think doing the development elsewhere risks another stagnation after one
turn of the crank.

It would be nice to know what Oracle plans on doing w/r/t updating the
XPath/XSLT support in the Sun JVM, which is based on an archaic version of
Xalan and has a bunch of known bugs. (I've spent several months gradually
convincing a customer that the W3C, rather than Sun, owns the definition
of XSLT and the fact that the Sun processor tolerates something it
shouldn't is a bug in that code rather than in ours. Sigh.)

Re: Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com> wrote on 06/18/2011 11:57:53 AM:

> I've been following this list for months, and it amazes me that it has
> taken the threat of moving the project to the Attic to realise that
> there is a hole in the 3 PMC requirement to keep a project going.

The project was on the verge of moving to the Attic because it no longer
had a functional PMC and had not produced an adequate board report in a
long time. This had been a concern for awhile (see board meeting minutes
[1]) not something that was just realized recently. The PMC reboot should
resolve that issue.

> According to Ohloh.net, the existing committers and PMC pretty much
> abandonded the Xalan-J code base a couple of years ago.   I personally
> think a fork of Xalan would have a better chance of getting off the
> ground outside of Apache, and then bringing that project back to Apache
> once it has established itself.    Plus, there really is a big need to
> not have to use Subversion for source control, but to use Git to allow
> easier contributions from the community back to the project.

If the intention is to contribute the code to Xalan, in my opinion it would
be better for the effort to be here. Folks interested in contributing can
become committers.

> If the existing committers and maintainers really wanted to keep Xalan
> alive, they would have diversified it more initially, and when old
> committers left, recruited help from the community.

Lessons learned. Xalan would have benefited from the Incubator if it had
existed way back then. In rebooting the PMC there is an opportunity to
improve that going forward.

> Most XSLT developers/users have moved on to Saxon, but that is just as
> dangerous since it is maintained by just one person.

Until such a day that Saxon becomes the implementation which ships in a
dominant JDK distribution I doubt that. I believe most Java XSLT
developers/users use whatever they get by default from their JDK/JRE and
today that's still likely to be a derivative of Xalan-J. It might be true
that there are now more users of Saxon than the *Apache* releases of
Xalan-J but until someone conducts a reliable poll we're just speculating.

> Dave
>
> On 06/16/2011 03:34 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Michael Glavassevich
> > <mr...@ca.ibm.com>  wrote:
> >> Victor Wang<wa...@gmail.com>  wrote on 06/16/2011 07:36:45
AM:
> >> That seems more likely if the folks (including yourself) interested in
> >> continuing development of Xalan attempt to do that here while the
project
> >> still exists. I get the sense that there are at least a couple people
on
> >> this list if granted committer status would do that, but aren't sure
how to
> >> go about obtaining it since there isn't a quorum of active PMC
members /
> >> committers who could vote new committers in....
> > Yes, people working on Xalan or interested in keeping it alive should
> > definitely make themselves heard on this list. I have called for
> > volunteer ASF members to help reboot the Xalan PMC so the project can
> > continue here, but for this to happen we definitely need to hear about
> > what's happening with Xalan here and now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Bertrand

Thanks.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Posted by David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com>.
I've been following this list for months, and it amazes me that it has
taken the threat of moving the project to the Attic to realise that
there is a hole in the 3 PMC requirement to keep a project going.

According to Ohloh.net, the existing committers and PMC pretty much
abandonded the Xalan-J code base a couple of years ago.   I personally
think a fork of Xalan would have a better chance of getting off the
ground outside of Apache, and then bringing that project back to Apache
once it has established itself.    Plus, there really is a big need to
not have to use Subversion for source control, but to use Git to allow
easier contributions from the community back to the project.

If the existing committers and maintainers really wanted to keep Xalan
alive, they would have diversified it more initially, and when old
committers left, recruited help from the community.   Most XSLT

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Thank you for your useful info~

2011/6/21 David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com>

> The biggest thing you'll need to implement besides the new Parser language
> for XPath 2 is the function library.

> There are over 100 functions and a handful of operations.
>
> The good thing is that the XSLT workingroup had created a Test suite, that
> you can run processors against for XPath2/XQuery verification. We did this
> with PsychoPath and without it, it would have been a LOT harder road to make
> it conformance to the test suite. I suggest you check it out as regardless
> it will help with conformance testing.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/xquery-**test-suite/**PublicPagesStagingArea/<http://dev.w3.org/2006/xquery-test-suite/PublicPagesStagingArea/>
>

> On 06/20/2011 07:46 PM, shathawa@e-z.net wrote:
>
>> Gui&  Victor,
>>
>> OKay,  I will try to review the PsychoPath-Java development and Xalan-Java
>> architecture to get ideas on how to integrate the XPath2 and XSLT2
>> functionality into Xalan-C/C++.
>>
>> I already have an extensive set of notes on the XALAN-C and XERCES-C
>> libraries.
>>
>> I have a set of files to create an interactive Xalan-C/C++ API Programmer
>> Reference using current releases of doxygen (http://www.doxygen.org) and
>> graphViz (http://www.graphviz.org) programs.  The configuration files are
>> reported on JIRA XALANC-711.
>>
>>   https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/XALANC-711<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANC-711>
>>
>> You may get and edit these files to assist your code review and
>> architecture studies in the Java realm.
>>
>> The doxygen program is known to work with Java sources.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>> Steven J. Hathaway
>>

>>  Hi Jesper,
>>>
>>> Victor Wang is the GSoC student, i have talked to him, he said that he
>>> will
>>> try to read Bilrost's source code and find a way to merge his job and the
>>> project. But GSoC gives him just more than 3 months, i think may be he
>>> does
>>> not have so much time to finished the project merging job. In fact, he is
>>> busy with Xalan and PsychoPath things
>>>
>>> 2011/6/18 Jesper Steen Møller<je...@selskabet.org>
>>>
>>>  Hi æ¡‚è®­é¾™,

>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> Gui Xun Long (æ¡‚è®­é¾™)

Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Posted by David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by sh...@e-z.net.

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jesper,

--
Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Posted by Jesper Steen Møller <je...@selskabet.org>.
Hi 桂训龙,

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: Solution about merging PsychoPath with Xalan to get XSLT 2.0 features

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Victor Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

Posted by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net>.