Posted to user@flume.apache.org by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com> on 2013/10/08 21:03:35 UTC

Shutdown metric question

Hi all,

We have a TCP source channeled to an Avro sink, which is connecting to an
Avro source channeled to HDFS sink. Everything is flowing, but I noticed
this when it shut down:

Shutdown Metric for type: CHANNEL, name: memory_RT_Tier2_Channel.
channel.event.put.attempt == 471
Shutdown Metric for type: CHANNEL, name: memory_RT_Tier2_Channel.
channel.event.put.success == 471
Shutdown Metric for type: CHANNEL, name: memory_RT_Tier2_Channel.
channel.event.take.attempt == 695
Shutdown Metric for type: CHANNEL, name: memory_RT_Tier2_Channel.
channel.event.take.success == 471

Does the difference between the channel.take.attempt == 695 and
take.success == 471 indicate that my channel dropped data, or does it
indicate that the channel tried to grab from the source but did not get
data from it? There is a period when the Avro RPC call connects where it is
not fully socketed, so maybe the channel is grabbing air? If so, that is
ok. If it indicates data got lost, that is not acceptable and hopefully
someone can help me correct the root cause there.

Thanks!
*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com

Re: Shutdown metric question

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.
Thanks Hari, that was what I was hoping to hear. Based on the first two
lines, that was what I had expected, but wanted to confirm before trusting
anything of value to the agent recipe as it stands.

Sincerely,
*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com