Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Liu <St...@veritas.com> on 2000/11/01 00:59:34 UTC

Help : can't get java compiling through

Hi, any one can tell me why I cant get the this example compiled out.
code is at tomcat/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/RequestParamExample.java
when I do javac RequestParamExample.java , get following output:

RequestParamExample.java:8: package javax.servlet does not exist
import javax.servlet.*;
^
RequestParamExample.java:9: package javax.servlet.http does not exist
import javax.servlet.http.*;
^
RequestParamExample.java:19: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServlet
location: class RequestParamExample
public class RequestParamExample extends HttpServlet {
                                         ^
RequestParamExample.java:24: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletRequest
location: class RequestParamExample
                      ^
RequestParamExample.java:25: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletResponse
location: class RequestParamExample
                      HttpServletResponse response)
                      ^
RequestParamExample.java:26: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletException
location: class RequestParamExample
        throws IOException, ServletException
                            ^
RequestParamExample.java:84: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletRequest
location: class RequestParamExample
    public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request,
                       ^
RequestParamExample.java:85: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletResponse
location: class RequestParamExample
                      HttpServletResponse response)
                      ^
RequestParamExample.java:86: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletException
location: class RequestParamExample
        throws IOException, ServletException
                            ^
9 errors

Any reason, I cant import javax.serlet ?

My working env is as following:
Apache 1.3.14
JDK    1.3.0
JSDK is tomcat from
//jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1/src/jakarta-tomcat.tar.Z

Cheers,

        steven.liu@veritas.com
                                 _____

    \_____________________________/o\_____________________________/
                                  \_/

          Every once in a while, the boundaries get redefined.

Re: Help : can't get java compiling through

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Steven Liu wrote:

> Hi, any one can tell me why I cant get the this example compiled out.
> code is at tomcat/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/RequestParamExample.java
> when I do javac RequestParamExample.java , get following output:

When you are compiling servlets yourself, you must ensure that the servlet.jar
file that came with Tomcat is visible on your classpath.  Assuming that
TOMCAT_HOME points at your Tomcat installation directory, you can do this like
so (all on one line):

javac -classpath $TOMCAT_HOME/lib/servlet.jar:$CLASSPATH
RequestParamExample.java

>         steven.liu@veritas.com

Craig McClanahan

Re: Help : can't get java compiling through

Posted by "Julio Serje (@canada.com)" <js...@home.com>.
Looks really weird. When tomcat is starting it tells you what classpath is
using, and normally it should contain  tomcat_home/lib/servlet.jar.

Check that you have servlet.jar in your claspath ( tomcat_home/lib
directory), check permissions (if you are running a unix/linux system) or
your environment space if Win 95/98.

Julio Serje
Calian Tech.