Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ron Lussier <rl...@lenscraft.com> on 2002/10/29 02:20:23 UTC

"Installation" document changes

I have a few changes I'd like to make to the Installation document,
located (I believe) in the CVS tree at the following location:

	/xml-axis/java/docs/install.html

The changes are as follows:

1)	In section two, change the following paragraph:

		In this directory, copy the jars associated with the
		JAXP 1.1 XML compliant parser of your choice. This
		generally means either the xerces.jar from the
		xml-xerces distribution, or the crimson.jar and
		jaxp.jar from the JAXP 1.1 reference implementation.
		In this directory, copy the jars associated with the
		JAXP 1.1 XML compliant parser of your choice. This
		generally means either the xercesImpl.jar from the
		xml-xerces distribution, or the crimson.jar, jaxp.jar
		and xalan.jar from the JAXP 1.1 reference implementation.

2)	Install a new step after 'installing the dependencies' as follows:

	step 2.5: activating the admin servlet (optional)

		The AdminServlet shows you the current status of the
		Axis servlet, allows you to start and stop Axis, and
		get the current servlet load.  This servlet is
		disabled by default.

		To enable this servlet, go to the webapps/axis directory
		you just created.  Go into the WEB-INF sub-directory and
		edit the web.xml file.  Near the bottom of this file
		you'll find a section labeled 'uncomment this if you
		want the admin servlet'.  Do so.

		Normally, you can only start and stop Axis using the
		AdminServlet from the machine where Axis is running.
		From other machines, you'll simply see the status
		of the Axis servlet.  If you wish to change this,
		you may edit the web.xml file in webapps/Axis/WEB-INF/
		and change the AdminServlet declaration as follows:

			<servlet>
				<servlet-name>AdminServlet</servlet-name>
				<display-name>Axis Admin Servlet</display-name>
				<servlet-class>
					org.apache.axis.transport.http.AdminServlet
				</servlet-class>
			<init-param>
         		<param-name>enableRemoteAdmin</param-name>
         		<param-value>true</param-value>
			</init-param>
			<load-on-startup>100</load-on-startup>
			</servlet>

		(Added lines shown in boldface.)

I feel that this will clarify a few items which I found confusing.

Ron Lussier

---
ron lussier / lenscraft                         fine art giclee prints
rlussier@lenscraft.com                              67 crescent avenue
AIM vanagonner                                    sausalito / ca 94965
http://www.lenscraft.com/                              +1 415.331.3687