Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Narendra Sharma <na...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/24 21:30:05 UTC

Option for ordering columns by timestamp in CF

Cassandra 0.7.4
Column names in my CF are of type byte[] but I want to order columns by
timestamp. What is the best way to achieve this? Does it make sense for
Cassandra to support ordering of columns by timestamp as option for a column
family irrespective of the column name type?

Thanks,
Naren

Re: Option for ordering columns by timestamp in CF

Posted by Martin Koch <ma...@issuu.com>.
I think that would be cool.

/Martin Koch - Issuu - Senior Software Architect

Posted by Ertio Lew <er...@gmail.com>.
@B Todd Burruss:
Regarding the use cases, I think they are pretty common. At least I see its
usages very frequently in my project. Lets say when the application needs
to store a timeline of bookmark activity by a user on certain items then if
I could store the activity data containing columns(with concerned item id
as column name) & get it ordered by timestamp then I could also fetch from
that row whether or not a particular item was bookmarked by user.
Ordering columns by time is a very common requirement in any application
therefore if such a mechanism is provided by cassandra, it would be really
useful & convenient to app developers.

Posted by Martin Koch <ma...@issuu.com>.

Posted by "B. Todd Burruss" <bt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Derek Williams <de...@fyrie.net>.

--
Derek Williams

Re: Option for ordering columns by timestamp in CF

Posted by "Hiller, Dean" <De...@nrel.gov>.
Good, I wasn't the only one confused…I was not sure at all how "make column timestamps optional" was related to your question either…..he must have been a hurry and misread the question.

From: Ertio Lew <er...@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, October 12, 2012 12:13 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<ma...@cassandra.apache.org>" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Option for ordering columns by timestamp in CF

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax<http://datastax.com/>

Re: Option for ordering columns by timestamp in CF

Posted by Ertio Lew <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: Option for ordering columns by timestamp in CF

Posted by Ertio Lew <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.