Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/15 22:45:44 UTC

Re: Summary checkpoint - Roadmap / Things-to-do

On 6/14/05, Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com> wrote:
> >>Not sure what you had in mind here.  I doubt
> >>you mean that XML hacking is not possible,
> >>or that is would be a high tech xml editor.
> >>Do you have more detailed description, or
> >>better yet, can you point to some tool that
> >>does what you are thinking of?
>
> This was one of my ideas...I can explain...
>
> It would be great to have a GUI tool...prefereably in Swing...that will
> build you a Geronimo configuration...
>
> i.e... I want OpenJB, with Tomcat, and no JMS.  Click here...clik
> there...Press a button...and out pop the plans...and it launches into a
> quick assembly.  At the end, I have my server.jar with my special
> configuration all built and wrapped for me.
>
> Advanced options would allow us to tweak down to the Gbean level.
>
> A great example is the Jetty vs Tomcat.  It's a PITA to uncomment and
> comment many different Gbeans.  It would be great to just have a GUI where I
> can choose a component(s), and the XML plans are complete.

This is exactly what I had in mind when you and I spoke about this
Jeff. I was thinking of starting with the JGoodies components. These
components give platform specific look and feel and are highly
optimized. I'm actually really interested to work on this and we can
begin by first tackling the Jetty or Tomcat option as a proof of
concept.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project